been a while..

razorback

Full Access Member
Reaction score
its been a while since ive been on this website.. been busy and sorta taking a break from the truck.. anyway ive been thinking.. both my parents and sister bought a truck and with me buying my car in december i havent had alot of need for the truck.. and as much as ive put in it ive considered selling it but have no idea what it would be worth. this is sorta a feeler post.. details are..

1987 f350 xlt dually 6.9l diesel motor less than 100k miles on it, very clean under body no rust nothing, etc. auto trans that shifts pretty good, will have all new tires (have 2 that i still havent put on rims) other 4 have less than 100 miles on them, racor water seperator, pyro gauge, water temp, boost gauge (will explain later) oil pressure gauge new carpet maybe year old. truck has not been driven much since put in still pretty much new. electric fuel pump, new turbo injection pump, new injectors, new trans filter, oil filter, coolant.

onto the turbo.. it came with a banks sidewinder kit, original non wastegated kind, but it ate something and chewed the compressor wheel up. so i went a little radical and bought a big turbo off ebay and remote mounted it. it works well but the manual fuel pump does not keep up with it, so a scavenger pump would be a good investment. so i can either take all the turbo stuff off turn the pump down and make it NA or put the turbo back on and let new owner take care of it.. what is best move? and if i do decide to sell what should i ask? its not perfect but the flaws are nothing major i do not think.

gonecrazyi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Id like to see some pictures of that turbo setup.

Are you using the lift pump to pump oil from the turbo?

razorback

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ill see what i can find on my computer.. the turbo is considerably bigger than a banks and loud. and i am using the lift pump to pump oil back up to turbo.

razorback

Full Access Member
Reaction score
the turbo, which is located under drivers side by transmission up to top of motor i guess it would work alot better if the oil was pump to a lower place..

gonecrazyi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
How did you route the boost up to the motor? Ive been thinking about doing something like this for awhile but was planning to put it above the passengers side valve cover.

david85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You're making me drool. Yes, more details on the turbo please.

What sort of boost are you making with that?

@ 1500
@ 2000
@ 3000

If the truck runs well and looks good, I'd wager $3500-$4500 but prices vary by location.

REALLY interested in your turbo setup.

razorback

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ran piping up off the turbo then through top of trans tullen to intake, reused the banks intake as well.

razorback

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ive been slacking. whoever wants pics of the truck turbo setup pm me with an email address and ill forward pics to you. ive decided to list it for sale. ive taken the turbo off and all the other stuff and will leave it setup as a na truck for now. if someone wants to put it back on then they will have the parts to do so. as far as price does 2500 sound reasonable? its not perfect but for its age its really clean. ill post an official fs ad in a few days.

razorback

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You're making me drool. Yes, more details on the turbo please.

What sort of boost are you making with that?

@ 1500
@ 2000
@ 3000

If the truck runs well and looks good, I'd wager $3500-$4500 but prices vary by location.

REALLY interested in your turbo setup.

turbo not alot of field testing.. maybe a few lbs at 1500 maybe 5 at 2k and on the higher end of the rpm range probably 10-15 pushing it hard. it sounds freaking sweet too, like a semi spooling

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Probably a good idea to sell the turbo setup separately. You should be able to get 2500 for that truck n/a at least you would in my area very easily. Someone here might likely buy the custom turbo setup for a good amount since you've already done all the reneck engineering that goes into making a non kit turbo work. Now we all want to know what this "big turbo" is off of.

razorback

Full Access Member
Reaction score
not sure what the turbo is off of. its a gt35 which is about the size of a s400 turbo. just a generic turbo. anyone know what the na exhaust system coming off the headers look like? i just need a picture to see if the whole y pipe setup would need to go with turbo or if the part i welded on will work.

razorback

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ok so im sure some of you guys are interested in this.. i remounted the turbo,and have figured out a better way to plumb the exhaust to the turbo. im putting this on to sell truck so whens its finished it will be up for sale (again) here is a picture.. not completed but not alot to do to finish, intake plumbing and the oil plumbing.

Attachments

• 007.JPG
    007.JPG
    185.3 KB · Views: 48
  • 008.JPG
    008.JPG
    89.6 KB · Views: 47

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I bet you'll sell that truck now...probably to someone on OB. I'm broke so I can't but I bet someone here can. The only thing don't like about that location is what happens when you get into some heavy rain or puddles? Does she ingest water or are you going to use some sort of casing to keep it dry? That's pretty much what we have on our GMC W3500 at work the turbo being a remote mount and a casing to keep it dry an clean. I'm sure there would also be some heat loss on the hot side of the turbo and some loss of pressure on the cold side no matter how perfect your design was. If it works well though this might be a possible solution for some of these guys wanting to mount PSD, dt466, and holset turbos, anything that doesn't necessarily mount at the CDR/factory turbo pedestal type deal. What are you doing about oil supply and drainback?