Bed Removed, What to do?

rob93

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Code:

So I have my bed off the idi to fix my fuel tanks. While I have the easy access, is there any mods I am missing?

Fix both shower heads

Pressure clean and undercoat frame rails

I am not too worried about modding the vent to be able to use the big rig pumps, as I don't come around them too often, but I currently have to hang a regular station pump out of my tank a bit in order to lock the pump and walk away, which of course results in a little spill when the tank reaches full. Any ideas for a simple fix?

Anything to check/mod that I missed? Florida truck, so everything is rust free back there.

kc0stp

30 Hour Famine
Reaction score
Do the vent mod anyways, should fix your filling issues. And really rust free from Fl? Last time I was down there it was more rust then Id see but then again Im a Colorado boy.

rob93

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Do the vent mod anyways, should fix your filling issues. And really rust free from Fl? Last time I was down there it was more rust then Id see but then again Im a Colorado boy.

Is the vent mod the harpoon mod? Or taking out the rollover valve to fit the bigger pump?

And trucks look nothing like the ones up north down here. Sometimes you'll get a rusty one that spent its entire life by the beach, no road salt is a good thing.

kc0stp

30 Hour Famine
Reaction score
Normally its considered the rollover valve modification but frankly you might as well do both.

93 RHD

Reaction score
Make sure you get all the pieces of the broken showerhead out of the tanks

rob93

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Make sure you get all the pieces of the broken showerhead out of the tanks

Got everything out of the front tank. I can't believe how much either disintegrated or got stuck in the fuel filter, or is still somewhere in my lines. There was definitely not enough in there for an entire showerhead!

G. Mann

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When I did my rollover valves on my 92, I happened to have a 97 parts truck. The vent tubes from that rollover valve is 1/2 inch, the rollover valves have the exact same diameter so it was pull the small tube 92 valves and push in the 97 large tube valves.. It instantly cured by slow filling problems.

I had to buy some 1/2 inch hose to run from the fill port to the roll over valve port and deal was done.. The fill nozzle NEVER pukes no matter how fast I fill.

Sorry, I have no part number for the 97 roll over valves.. same valve for front and rear tank..

rob93

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When I did my rollover valves on my 92, I happened to have a 97 parts truck. The vent tubes from that rollover valve is 1/2 inch, the rollover valves have the exact same diameter so it was pull the small tube 92 valves and push in the 97 large tube valves.. It instantly cured by slow filling problems.

I had to buy some 1/2 inch hose to run from the fill port to the roll over valve port and deal was done.. The fill nozzle NEVER pukes no matter how fast I fill.

Sorry, I have no part number for the 97 roll over valves.. same valve for front and rear tank..

That's something I am much more interested in. I would rather not jb weld up my tank.

G. Mann

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just re-read you original post. I suggest you might benefit with a back flush of the fuel lines while you have the bed off and everything open to access.

Here is what I would do. 1. container of clean fuel, 2. electric fuel pump [anything that pumps will work], 3 Some hose and fittings. Open the fuel connection at the fuel filter and hook the electric fuel pump to that line. Drop a hose from the pickup side of the pump in the clean fuel and pump backwards to flush the fuel lines and the tank selector valve. Put a catch can under the tank supply hose that you took off the tank pickup to catch the fuel and trash [if you have any].

Switch tanks with the tank selector valve, so it will route the clean back flush fuel through the other set of lines and the rear tank.. [presume you started with front tank].

When you run only clean fuel out.. you can be more sure your system is clear of all the junk from the shower head.
Might save having a trashed fuel selector valve.

madpogue

Full Access Member
Reaction score
While you have the bed off, primer and paint every exposed metal surface you can see. Frame rails, underside of bed, tanks, fuel lines, brake lines, basically anything you couldn't reach otherwise.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cv axle