Battery terminal protectors

fuzzy1626

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Does anyone use and recommend these felt protectors? I have never used them before but was asked again yesterday when I bought new batteries (doubled in price since 07 "wth":mad:) if I wanted them.

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Does anyone use and recommend these felt protectors? I have never used them before but was asked again yesterday when I bought new batteries (doubled in price since 07 "wth":mad:) if I wanted them.

Never used em...never will....

Just sayin....

Al

Reaction score
They keep the corrosion from getting up into the cable terminal connection, but the better bet is to keep the corrosion from happening in the first place. Use the spray or the grease, available at any parts store. Felt pads are OK for extra insurance, but I wouldn't solely rely on them.

Mike

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Batteries have gone up because there is very little lead mining going on. I use spray and felt and antisieze on the bolts.

f-two-fiddy

Reaction score
I love those little felt dealies. They work great for keeping corrosion off the terminals. My 93 IDI has them on there, my 93 gasser doesn't. One has nice clean battery terminals, the other has fuzz growing on them constantly. I just ordered a set of custombatterycables.com cables for the gasser, and have a new set of felt washers waiting to go on when I change the cables.

G. Mann

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I use them, but I put in new ones every year when I do my annual inspection.

Also mix up some common baking soda and water and keep a cheap paint brush to brush down the cable connections every time I see even a spot of corrosion. That and a good spray from the garden hose to flush the baking soda "stuff" away after it's done it's work and the connections stay Clean, Bright, and Tight.

They are not the end all, install and forget forever, item, which is unfortunately how people treat them.. Most folks never look at their battery.. ever.

Hydro-idi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't have any covers on my terminals but use this battery protector in a small white spray can that seems to work very well.

Wyreth

Certifiable Noob
Reaction score
I use them, and like them, but as everyone else has mentioned: They're just one part of a system, and they wear out.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
I use them but I add something extra to stop the acid from climbing up the posts from the battery. A liberal coating of rtv and the seal between the lead post and the plastic top has been stopped. Then once a year they get cleaned to shiny lead material.

turbo elk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was told the reason that the batteries get corroded like that is because they leak between the lead and plastic.. due to the different materials thermal expansion.
An old guy I knew while drag racing told me to clean the battery at the post then put a bead of hi-temp silicone around the post were the plastic and lead meet not to much just a bead.
Let it skim over then push the terminal down on to it.
I did this and for two or three years the battery in my nova never got corroded, and that was in Redding, CA. and it gets up to 125° in the summer so if it's gonna sweat it'll have plenty of chances there.

turbo elk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Oh.. as to the felt thingies they didn't last 2 months in the Redding heat... when the summer lasts for 6 months.

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
IMHO...they just separate hard earned $$ from my wallet and I consider them a Barny Bolt On item.

If you do regular inspections and maintenance on your vehicle/s then this is just not worth it.

Liberal coating of elephant snot works extremely well at corrosion protection, or as mentioned RTV at base of post.

Most of us have RTV some of us have elephant snot...choice of product is all it comes down too really.

Felt, grease, RTV elephant snot...what have you....

JM2CW

Al

Kevin 007

Full-floater
Reaction score
Al I don't use em anymore either, usualy use the snot. However, Princes in Oroville has em dirt cheap. Bought them once numerous years ago and they did the trick.

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Al I don't use em anymore either, usualy use the snot. However, Princes in Oroville has em dirt cheap. Bought them once numerous years ago and they did the trick.

That's funny *****...wife is there right now...rofl

Hey you know a Chris Armstrong?

chris142

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've never had any luck with The felt washers and they prevent the terminal from going on the post fully