battery light flickers

noddaz

Reaction score
I have a 1992 F250d that has the battery light flickering...
The gauge indicates that it is charging ok, but the light flickers anyway.
I have not tried a real voltmeter on the batteries to find out what the alternater is putting out voltage wise...
But I did clean the battery cable ends...
Can anyone point me in what direction to look for something?
The light flickers at idle or at road speed...
Or sometimes not at all...

Last edited:

Mike

Stroker
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Two distinct possibilities here: Your alternator is not putting out or you have a loose or corroded ground somewhere on the chassis.

noddaz

Reaction score
Thanks!

I will track the other ends of the ground cables...
And check output...

ford5.9

ford5.9
Reaction score
I'm also thinking its your plug on the alternator. Not the big plug, the small single wire plug closest to the passenger side. Mine flickered off and on for a year, thinking it was the alternator or weak batts. The plug appeard to be fine but the flickering continued. One day I had my son sit in the truck and i wiggled the wire and I was able to make it go off and on just by the way i would move the plug a certain way. I took a pair of wire cutters and snipped the plug off and wired a flat plug back on and have not had the light come back on for the last 6 months.

noddaz

Reaction score
Ok!
I will take a close look at the plug...
Thanks everyone for the help with this...

96_Bear

Shane
Reaction score
i just repalced the one on my 96 last Thursday cause it went up in smoke . Then on Sunday I lost the one in my Excursion it was showing charging on the gauge but that battery light was flickering. I took it to Autozone and they checked it on the truck and said it was bad. Took it off and got a new one cuz it really was bad. The dual battery really cause's the gauge to show good I drove it for two days at night so i ran with the lights for an hour each night on and never had any problems other than the flicker!

noddaz

Reaction score
Thanks everyone! I tightened up the terminal contacts and the *flicker* is now gone!
Thanks again!

Noddaz

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lance

Members online