batteries finally died, Whats the good stuff?

Garbage_Mechan

Garbage Mechanic
Reaction score
The group 65 batteries that come in the fords since 87 are a poor choice but what Ford stuck us with. The group27's that goe in the 83-86 trucks are better but hard to come by thesee days. One good group 31 is more battery that two group 65's. I have done a lot of work with group 31's, every truck in the fleet has 3. I have probaply bought 4-500 ofthem over the years. If you go to 31's just be careful they don't hit the hood, but definitly doable, and worth it, a basic big rig group 31 is a better battery that a high end car battery. All the hype and advertising don't fly with fleet owners. I use Battery Systems, but not the high end, the Centennial, with 3 year free replacemnt no pro rate.

ZWilson07

Cowboy
Reaction score
The group 65 batteries that come in the fords since 87 are a poor choice but what Ford stuck us with. The group27's that goe in the 83-86 trucks are better but hard to come by thesee days. One good group 31 is more battery that two group 65's. I have done a lot of work with group 31's, every truck in the fleet has 3. I have probaply bought 4-500 ofthem over the years. If you go to 31's just be careful they don't hit the hood, but definitly doable, and worth it, a basic big rig group 31 is a better battery that a high end car battery. All the hype and advertising don't fly with fleet owners. I use Battery Systems, but not the high end, the Centennial, with 3 year free replacemnt no pro rate.

I dont know if you saw my post on the last page, but what makes the heavy duty batteries like the 31's better then the regular duty 65's and why are the 65's so bad? That is what I have in my truck and that is what came factory on our 06 Dodge 3500 and has lasted more then long enough to be happy with. I would think if it wasn't smart to do back in the 80's they still wouldn't be doing it.

Does anyone have actual differences in them? I know the heavy duty ones usually run a better CCA and RC but are 31's the newer AGM design or do 31's even need to come in that style?

Just seems like a group 65 with 930 CC and 135 RC that is an AGM design is pretty dang good and should be at least really close in quality to beginning group 31's but again I honestly dont know. But I am trying to find out good solid info on it all besides just I ran this for 6 years its been great, kind of stuff you know.

Like mentoned above regarding our 06 Dodge 3500, the factory batteries actually finally just went and lasted a good 8 years or so with being 750 or 850 CCA batteries, but that doesn't really tell me much on if I should go back with some high quality group 65's like listed or if it is worth trying to go even farther then that to group 31's?

I've seen high quality 65's listed at $150-$200 a pop and good 31's go on even higher, but then I have also seen a group 31 at advanced auto for $105 that I would be willing to bet isn't better then those 65's. To me it would seem a good thing to keep with high quality 65's. You can get pretty close in CCA and RC within reason to 31's, good 65's already are more then we even need, a better warranty which is sometimes double the length of group 31's, the AGM design which is almost a selling point in itself for a lot of people, and will easily fit with no modifications to battery tray or cables not fitting right from post location being different.

Maybe if I had to run a fleet or my own company with tons of equipment that had really crazy demands, then 31's might be more beneficial in that situaiton. But again I am more guessing then anything and seems like nowadays just simply going by the "shelf" brand and what the CCA and RC says, isn't good enough anymore to really tell you much. So I am really just trying to learn from the guys that have been there and done that, and have good specifics as I don't even know if everything I just noted is accurate enough to truly go by or not.

Last edited:

jrad235

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've been running BiMart batteries in mine for a few years now, I just picked the cheapest battery above 800CCA's. I think I was out the door around $80/Each. They are physically smaller than the Group 65, but the only starting issues I've ever had were due to bad starters or IP's.

I recently picked up a pair of Group 31 Exides from the local International dealer, not because mine are having issues, but to use on a different truck. Over 900CCA and about $75/Each.

Fozz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just bought 2 group 65's from Costco $90something each. They gave me like $18 back when I brought my old ones back in. I wanna say they're 900 or 1000 cca.

edit: Just walked out the the truck....cca 850, 1000 at 32F. 100 month warranty.

Last edited:

Greg5OH

Full Access Member
Reaction score
anyone know if the group 31 would fit in a bricknose FOR SURE??

ZWilson07

Cowboy
Reaction score
anyone know if the group 31 would fit in a bricknose FOR SURE??

Ive seen where a few have.

If I was you I would just get the measurements off the group 31 you are interested in online or whatever and just go measure your truck yourself. Your factory tie down might not work if it is alot wider but I dont know if you are even still using one or not either.

Greg5OH

Full Access Member
Reaction score
other than being in a pinch, i also dont have time to fabricate different tie downs or larger tray, or any mods really..tbh i think ill just get the 65s and be worry free. Then down teh road pick up a huge truck battery (theyre also 100, 120$), twice the size, 1200 CCA and huuge reserve capacity. Add it under the bed or something with an isolator.

ZWilson07

Cowboy
Reaction score
other than being in a pinch, i also dont have time to fabricate different tie downs or larger tray, or any mods really..tbh i think ill just get the 65s and be worry free. Then down teh road pick up a huge truck battery (theyre also 100, 120$), twice the size, 1200 CCA and huuge reserve capacity. Add it under the bed or something with an isolator.

Yeah I know what your talking about.

I think I am just going to go with the really nice Die Hard Platinum AGM 65's as well and just be done with it. For me there isn't a whole lot info yet for me to decide I need 31's when factoring in ease of replacement, warranty length, AGM design, ease of fitment and zero modifications to battery tray or cables, etc. Even these 65's are going to be more then enough to have no issues.

Also on a side note. Does anyone have any info regarding to high of a CCA to stop at when using the stock system? I have read on some forums that the starter can only use a set amount of CCA anyways and I guess you get to a point to where going even higher in CCA and RC stops being worth the extra money for a stock system.

Last edited:

Greg5OH

Full Access Member
Reaction score
interested in this as well. Our starters draw 300-400 amps at startup, so you would think a 500cca battery shoudl suffice? Well it definitely wont lol, a 550cca couldnt crank (well it did, but slowly) my dads old 1.6 n/a jetta. got a an 850 cca and it was off instantly.

HS108

Diesel Newb
Reaction score
I'm in the same boat as the OP, At first I wanted the sears diehard plats, then I wanted to upgrade to a bigger battery (group 31) but then I thought about it more and I figured we always preach on this forum buy OEM: use OEM thermostats, use OEM filters, OEM Glow plugs, OEM this and that. Why am I trying to reinvent the OEM cranking system? Use the 65's that have been starting millions of fords all over this country problem free.

I think there is something to be said about those Die Hard plats, but I think buying batteries these days are a crap shoot, if you read reviews on any battery there is, one person saying how great the battery is, next review down the person is crying how it left their wife and children stranded in the middle of no where.

Im just gonna buy the best 65 I can afford, and the one that is convenient for me to return if need be.

Greg5OH

Full Access Member
Reaction score
im buying costco group 65, P# 12866.
92 bucks a piece, 850 cca. 150 min reserve.

Project for after winter will definitly be adding a big ass truck battery under the bed somewhere with an isolator to run radio and lights/accessories.

Greg5OH

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just dont trust 850 cc that much. i knwo we have two of them, but Im always one for upgrading when replacing. I KNOW you can get high powered (im talking minmum 1000 cca) in similar sized to ours for a normal price, just cant seem to find any...That group 31 from napa i posted, I like alot.
1125 CCA
http://www.napaonline.com/Catalog/C...-Automotive-Commercial/_/R-NBP7234_0398933505

just need a concrete answer if they fit or not. closest napa ios a 20 min drive 1 way

Greg5OH

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I know its teh reserve time that matters too. How long wil teh battery supply 850 CCA for. not jsut 1000 CCA for 3 seconds then sharply drop off.

idiabuse

Full Access Member
Reaction score
@ $400 today $330 in 2005 when I bought it, I removed the OEM BATT cable chucked it.
Removed BATT trays under the hood.
Welded up a cage for the new Odyssey 80lb battery and mounted
it under the bed right side, directly behind the cab. used two 460 head bolts, perfect
length and diameter for the bed frame.
2awg welding cable one length about 6 feet straight to the starter.
Smaller gauge feeds the rest of the truck.
A large 2awg cable for the ground too.
I have two, one at the engine OEM location
and from the BATT to the frame again
close to the BATT location.
Less connections to fool with.
1150CA @ 0 Degrees F
1370CA @ 32 Degrees F
205 Reserve Capacity

It has been a real good BATT for me
best BATT I have ever owned, We all have
bought many!
This one I am happy I purchased, I still use it everyday.