batteries finally died, Whats the good stuff?

BDOGONE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I did a lot of reading and decided on 31c's from sams club. Made by east pen. Branded Duracell. 960/1050. I'm squeezing them into a van that came with 65 and 50 OEM. They fit (barely-it's a van thing) you have to shim up the battery or trim one end of the stock tray. New hold downs required. Terminal lug required. Under $100 each after core credit. Runner up was Rural King with Exide's, 31c for $88.

Sent by wing, prayer & ATT

opusd2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I originally bought a new set of 31 commercials for my 24 volt CUCV M1009 and recently switched them to my 86 F250 for the winter. I don't think they are going back.

These batteries are 3 going on 4 years old and I won't go back to the Optima AGMs I had in there. Well not this winter anyway...

I have nothing but praise for them. But mine came from Carquest.

I had group 31 NAPA batteries in mine, only 700CCA's but 170 min RC. They lasted 7 years. They only had a 18 month warranty on them though. IIRC it was something like $160 for both of them way back when.

Those 700CCA's started my truck all the way down to zero with a dying starter. As far as I'm conerned, CCA's arent the biggest of deals as long as they are at that, or above. Reserve capacity is important. Probably the most important thing is the best warranty you can get for your money.

BDOGONE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I got a little "shy" on AGM's when my 12valve shorted out a regulator and quickly overcharged my $300 battery to death. Happened in an afternoon and I didn't catch it before it was too late. Expensive lesson!

Sent by wing, prayer & ATT