Banks Trans Controler

tham

1994 F250 IDI Turbo
Reaction score
Is anyone out there using a Banks transmission controler on an E4OD? Just wondering how they work and if it is worth the money. I also wondered if it would help take care of some of the issues that are normally seen with the E4OD. Any input would be helpfull.
Thanks in advance,
Tim

wmoguy

Reaction score
Is anyone out there using a Banks transmission controler on an E4OD? Just wondering how they work and if it is worth the money. I also wondered if it would help take care of some of the issues that are normally seen with the E4OD. Any input would be helpfull.
Thanks in advance,
Tim

I've got one on mine and I like how it firms up the shifts and increases line pressure. Just my opinion, but if you have some trans problems now, and you put this on (which WILL increase line pressure) you are probably speeding up the destruction of your trans. IN other words, I'd only suggest putting it on a solid transmission.

bab029

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My truck came with the Jet brand tranny controller. In any position other than stock, it just feels like the tranny is in limp mode. so it leave it alone.

trackspeeder

Stone crusher.
Reaction score
Never been a fan of those electronic gizmos. All they do is increase the line pressure. Thats just a bandaid on a tranny.:eek:

You are better off with some sort of shift kit. The shift kit will address boost issues, shift speed, and pressure. Plus other issues that give the E4OD a bad name.:D

Hyde

N GO SEEK
Reaction score
Line pressure is very important though, not sure I would call it a bandaid. Especially in a diesel application where we make the most torque before the trans has proper line pressure.

bab029

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mine has five settings marked: Stock, 1, 2, 3, and 4. I don't have any way of quantifying what changes when I have mine in a setting other than stock, nor have i had the opportunity to pull anything heavy with mine. I suspect the benefit to boosting line pressure is quicker shifting under heavy load, translating to lower transmission temps, further translating to longer transmission life. One day I intend to install a tranny pressure and temp gauge; however grad school precludes this, and most other things i prefer to do.

Because of this, mine stays in the stock position...

trackspeeder

Stone crusher.
Reaction score
Line pressure is very important though, not sure I would call it a bandaid. Especially in a diesel application where we make the most torque before the trans has proper line pressure.

Line pressure is very important. Too low, the tranny will burn up. Soft shifts will create excessive heat from slipping. High pressure will break things.

The tricking the TCM with electronics will not fix the mechanical issues. Like low pressure in M1 or M2. Down shifting a stock E4OD can be interesting. Sometimes exciting when there is no reaction.:rotflmao

There are other issues that get covered in a shift kit. Low boost, delayed reverse, dealyed forward, pump buzz, and lube issues.

That's why I always called the electronic boxes a bandaid.:D

Greenie

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I installed a transcommand at 50K miles, did a lot of tough towing in the mountains and in Mexico. The original transmission lasted to 220K miles, then I had it rebuilt. I think the transcommand made the transmission last longer. Nice firm upshifts, the mushyness was gone.