banks sidewinder vs. ATS 088 = wow!!

GRU

fear the chicken legs
Reaction score
i picked up the dually that cincinnati guy has on his avatar and sig. it has the sidewinder system. my blue truck has the 088. up until last night it was the only turbo truck ive driven. i thought it did ok, had decent power, towed ok for what the truck should be towing. well i took the family for a ride up the road last night in the dually. HOLY (expletive deleted)!!!! that things F-ing RUNS!!! it makes 10 psi boost almost instantly and responds to throttle immediately and just lunges forward. even in 3rd gear after turning a corner it just goes. i cant wait to tow with this thing. my ats turbo i have to rev the balls off it to get it upwards of 7 or 8 psi. is all this performance difference just due to turbo design differences or is my blue truck not as up to ***** as i thought??

david85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Huh, makes me wonder now......

Some one remind me, is the sidewinder the version that employs the mitsubishi turbos?

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
on the banks...are we talking about wastegated or nonwastegated?
wastegated banks turbo for a IH IDI is a straight up animal on a 6.5 GM diesel.:eek::D

david85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well I know I'm often complaining about how the parts are not as easy to get as for the T4 series, but one thing I noticed about the diesel ranger with mitsubishi engine and turbo spools like nobodies business. Comparing the internals of that early 80s designed mitsubishi turbo to a similar era Garrett T3 reveals the japanese design does seem to be more advanced. That turbo is really tiny but it spools like crazy especially with the wastegate deactivated LOL

I don't understand why its so hard to get a setup like that on a 6.9....
I'm at the point where I'm giving serious consideration to starting from scratch with my turbo setup some day. Some day.......

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
yes the banks is gated, the ats is not.
welcome the the land of wastegated turbos. they tend to come on down low;Sweet
yes, it's a Mitusishi turbo. bad news is that the design is proprietary to Banks and you will play hell finding hard parts if you roach it bad.

greg_a_morton

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have the non waste gate banks thats going on the 68. how fast does it spool up and what kind of boost lbs do they make?

Shadetreemechanic

Full Access Member
Reaction score
yes the banks is gated, the ats is not.

If I remember your towing thread correctly, you didn't like to wind out the rpms much. If that is the case then you probably have just been needing a gated turbo the whole time.
They build boost alot lower in the rpm band, though I understand a non wastegated will out perform them in the upper rpm bands.
I have driven both types of turbos, and really like the wastegated since I don't really like to wind above 2500 much.

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey yeah I imagine the wastegated turbo would help a lot more with boost below 2000 rpm. I was almost completely satisfied with my truck as a NA engine so the little extra, usually 0-2 psig boost was more than enough to make me happy. Use what you like though, they both have their positives. I simply don't care if mine doesn't make boost in town and as for the excessive smoke on hard accel. I plan to eventually correct that with a Hypermax smoke puff limiter. When I build my dream engine it wil be IDI but won't be using an ATS or Banks turbo, probably something non wastegated off a DT engine.

dyoung14

Is getting worn out
Reaction score
If i ever get money oneday i plan on buying a hypermax pulse turbo i hear good things from them

OB_WAN

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have the non-gated pre-sidwinder design. I haven't driven an wastegated turbo so not sure on comparison.

I recently rebuilt mine prior to install. it spools well enough for me since I don't need immediate response. perhaps slight delay but wrapping the up/y pipes is helping. not much boost on the flats. typically see 4-6psi climbing grades empty. highest I've hit was 10psi towing ******* a moderate grade, high rpms.

I need to increase the fuel another flat and get it timed properly.

OB_WAN

Full Access Member
Reaction score
regarding higher rpms. My engine runs cooler when pulling @ higher rpms(higher boost, more complete burn. I read many posts stating you could run this engine extensively @ higher rpms without damage. downside is a loss of mileage.

I had some issues a while back with oil loss past the rings. saw a post from someone saying being easy on the engines will cause the rings to stick. took it out on the road and hammered down. no more oil loss.

dyoung14

Is getting worn out
Reaction score
regarding higher rpms. My engine runs cooler when pulling @ higher rpms(higher boost, more complete burn. I read many posts stating you could run this engine extensively @ higher rpms without damage. downside is a loss of mileage.

I had some issues a while back with oil loss past the rings. saw a post from someone saying being easy on the engines will cause the rings to stick. took it out on the road and hammered down. no more oil loss.

it doesnt hurt the engine to run around factory governed rpm settings, but running them above that rpm wears main bearings out rather quickly, tears centers out of clutches and plenty of other carnage:sly

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lance

Members online