banks sidewinder vs. ATS 088 = wow!!

Rot Box

Northern Utah
Reaction score
Regardless of turbo designs its really tough to compare two different trucks. My friend (bluecoot on ob) has the same year truck as me--91--the same D code injectors and the same ATS 088 turbo charger both with ZF five speeds/4.10 axle gears and our trucks couldn't be any more different. His boost starts much quicker and will spike at 13psi with little effort. His pulls really hard with a load and just runs great. Mine on the other hand is completely nutless in comparison and it takes me a long time and a lot of RPM's to peak at 7psi :puke: all the while running good without any noticeable problems.

That said I've never been too impressed with my 088 and if I wasn't scared to death of trying to separate the worthless slip coupler I would probably pull it and install a gated turbo. I think a Hypermax puff eliminator and a cowl intake would help immensely when it comes to getting the most out of the 088 though.

rjjp

Needs to go test
Reaction score
Sorry for the hyjack, but the stock turbos are garret has anyone tried to get a ball bearing center section for them? My brother ran a few T3 and some T4 on his little rice rides, and they all were ball bearing. (sorry for the ignorance but I'm currious)

david85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sorry for the hyjack, but the stock turbos are garret has anyone tried to get a ball bearing center section for them? My brother ran a few T3 and some T4 on his little rice rides, and they all were ball bearing. (sorry for the ignorance but I'm currious)

I don't think any of these are ball bearing.

FordGuy100

Reaction score
I was wondering the same thing about the ball bearing turbo's. The 093 kit uses a T3 center section I'm pretty sure (Russ???). It would be nice to have ball bearing, they are much more efficient.

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I was wondering the same thing about the ball bearing turbo's. The 093 kit uses a T3 center section I'm pretty sure (Russ???). It would be nice to have ball bearing, they are much more efficient.
they are more efficient and have tighter tolerances.
downside is they will wear out sooner. much sooner than the bushing type bearing.

DeepRoots

Tug Engineer
Reaction score
i was totally satisifed with the ATS 088 when I still had the c6 in the truck.
Once I swapped to the ZF5, the boost wasn't the same as rpms are not as high. The c6 shifted at 3200rpms at WOT while doing that with a zf5 just seems retarded.

Drew

dyoung14

Is getting worn out
Reaction score
i was totally satisifed with the ATS 088 when I still had the c6 in the truck.
Once I swapped to the ZF5, the boost wasn't the same as rpms are not as high. The c6 shifted at 3200rpms at WOT while doing that with a zf5 just seems retarded.

Drew

just tach it to 4500 that will boost it good for you

dyoung14

Is getting worn out
Reaction score
right....
i can't remember, was it the 4500rpms or the big honda tailfin that got you the extra 10hp?

your predictable you know that;Sweet, some how i knew you would say some smart ass comment, maybe because you always do who knows:dunno

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Regardless of turbo designs its really tough to compare two different trucks..

I'd have to agree. Boost levels are highly dependant on fueling and timing settings. Get two new pumps and injectors, and put them on both trucks. Get them timed dead on, then compare. Might need to compare compression readings too, to see how similar the engines may be.

FordGuy100

Reaction score
The one thing I always hear about is how wastegated turbo's with there smaller turbine housing, create higher EGT's.

Lately watching my pyro shows I max at about 800* EGT's. Step on it WOT my EGT's wont move until I have reached about 12psi (out of its efficiency range at that point), and even then it takes a while to get up to 800*. Towing its a little higher but I never had to back out :dunno

dyoung14

Is getting worn out
Reaction score
The one thing I always hear about is how wastegated turbo's with there smaller turbine housing, create higher EGT's.

Lately watching my pyro shows I max at about 800* EGT's. Step on it WOT my EGT's wont move until I have reached about 12psi (out of its efficiency range at that point), and even then it takes a while to get up to 800*. Towing its a little higher but I never had to back out :dunno

need more fuel:sly

The Warden

MiB Impersonator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
right....
i can't remember, was it the 4500rpms or the big honda tailfin that got you the extra 10hp?
:rotflmao :rotflmao :rotflmao

I've heard that also re: the higher EGT's...on the other hand, I have a feeling that that'll mainly be the case at higher RPM's...I'm hoping that EGT's will be similar or even a bit lower (since more air is going in) at cruising RPM's (unless you have 4.10's and no overdrive LOL ).

When you installed your turbo, did you turn the fuel up at all? 800 degrees EGT does sound rather low as a "max" point...but, better safe than sorry. Where's your thermocouple mounted, and are you sure the pyro's working properly?