Ball Joints replacement: what new parts do I need?

dank1945

Hippo Hands man
Reaction score
Hi,
I'll tackle the upper and lower ball joints next; what seals or other small items do I need to have on hand to complete the job? I already got the ball joints, of course. It's a '94 F350CC IDI 4x4. I appreciate any advice given. Also, are there any articles on this job to use as a guide?
Thanks,
Dan

Optikalillushun

Reaction score
ball joint press is one item id rent from ur favorite parts house. i would also use moog, trw or spicer ball joints...no junk.

it depends how far u wanna dive into this project. i mean u can do the wheel bearings, spindle bearings, hub seals, new universal joints, etc...but its not nesseccary. id check each wear item and decide from there.

dank1945

Hippo Hands man
Reaction score
Hi Opti,
I was wondering about seals and that sort of thing, which are probably available only at the stealer. I've never had one of these apart.

I'll check bearings and U joint, of course, but won't replace unless needed.

NextENRG

Reaction score
moog balljoints come with seals and grease nipples. also the moog come with instructions lol.

a 4wd ball joint kit (large c-clamp style with cups) will work with an impact.

dank1945

Hippo Hands man
Reaction score
NextENRG,
I mostly use the truck to camp on weekends, so I went with Advance cheap ball joints, sorry. I'm tired of putting money into this rig since I bought it 2 years ago. I may put 3-5 k miles a year on it at most. I just want to get some use out of it for a couple of years, get my money's worth out of it, and probably go for a Ram 2500 with a manual tranny. Since we're going to motorcycle rallies most weekends, I'll wait until the cooler weather to face the ball joint replacement task.
I do have a 10 ton press, and they say you can press the ball joints with that as well, so I'll try it first, before buying the C clamp kit.
Thanks for the response, I appreciate it.
Dan

sassyrel

Reaction score
if you dont get the tool to pull the sleeve on the top ball joint, your going to play h@#$% trying to get them out--been there--its like 85 clams. the taper of the ball joint locks it in, and after a while, they are STUCK!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited:

noddaz

Reaction score
any pictures of this sleeve?

I need ball joint in my 91 F250d 4x4...
It does not look like fun...

NextENRG

Reaction score
its actually quite simple as long as you have the ball joint tool (c-clamp +cups) and an impact.

noddaz

Reaction score
I have that tool...
I haven't looked close, but isn't the axle in the way?
(Just asking...)