1993 E 350 4x4 BallJoint - need help on parts

ironworker40

NYC Ironworker
Reaction score
I just drive them out with a 4-6 lb hammer and a bar or pipe. I can't remember the sequence but yes one has to be pressed in first. It looks like you have a ball joint press in that last picture that's what I used. you can use the correct size pipe also. If you clean everything up with a powered wire wheel, sandpaper and a file it will go back together easily.

ironworker40

NYC Ironworker
Reaction score
It's a good time to change the u joint in the axle. Those press really hard. I had to cut the cross out with a disc grinder and heat with oxygen acetylene and we had a press. Better off taking them to a shop if you don't have the proper equipment.

Joezam

Reaction score
A good block of wood and a 8 lb sledgehammer will do the trick. Alternate sides strikes will loosen the spindle.

derjackistweg

Full Access Member
Reaction score
A good block of wood and a 8 lb sledgehammer will do the trick. Alternate sides strikes will loosen the spindle.
Hi,

no - that did not work. See above. There was no side movement @ all. So it does not make any difference how big the hammer is.

Actually the 3 pound hammer + wood already very slidely damaged the threads of the spindle! I could could, rework the threads.

What worked is:
3 hours (!!!) hammering from behind to the outside with a bronce punch...
+ wedging from the front.

With a 8 mm (1/3 of an inch) gab it was still not moving!

nelstomlinson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I own a spindle puller. I thread it onto the spindle, then beat on it with my biggest sledge until the spindle starts to rock. THEN you can start trying to pull. The puller's primary function is to protect the spindle threads.
Edited to add: My biggest sledge is 8 pounds, long handle. I expect to have to swing it as hard as I can, first at one side then the other, for dozens of blows. I had to buy the spindle puller to protect the threads, because the 2x4s I tried to use were splintering after a few blows.

Last edited:

Cubey

Van dweller
Reaction score

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lewisstevey7