Bah. Time for a return line kit... redneck engineering 101.

RavenTBK

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Drove down to my local NAPA to pick up some vinyl tubing to do a clear line test to see where my intrusion originates from. I come out, pop off the line at the filter check valve, and it simply pulls free. ***?!?

Turns out the barb where it connects to #1 injector was split, and the wiggle of the hose was enough to sever the rest of it. *#&$##@&!!! Well, that at least narrows down my search, right?

Of course, NAPA lives up to its name... no parts available. So I need to come up with a solution to at least get the pig back home. Fortunately this NAPA is attached to an Ace Hardware.

With no nipple, I had to figure a way to plug the hole in the cap to not allow fuel to pour out. The plastic is very brittle. I got creative with a #12x1/2" sheet metal screw, $0.14. It didnt take much to wedge it in there just right. Finding a good angle that held it in without stripping and cracking it further was the issue.

Hmm.. then the problem was the fuel filter. The old braided hose was tough. It had a date of 12/20/98, so it was well past retirement...which I believe everything else under the hood is in a similar state. So I sliced off a 2" of the vinyl, slipped it over the check valve, and inserted a M10x20 bolt into it, $0.20. Fit snug. Fired her up. No leaks, or so I thought. The bolt shot out of the tube, flew across the engine bay, and landed in the intake valley on the drivers side. (!) Long story short, after retrieving the bolt, I realized I bought some tiny clamps to use with the vinyl hose for a couple days worth of testing. I employed two of those to secure the tube and bolt.

The tube dribbled a bit around the bolt, but it was better than an open return pouring out all over the top of the engine. I managed to get the big pig home without issue. Surprisingly, the sheet metal screw held up just fine for the 12mile bumpy trip.

I've already got a PM in to typ4, hopefully I can get the wheels turning and get her back on the road quickly. Its gonna suck being stuck on the motorcycle during the afternoon rains we have around here.

You must be registered for see images attach

You must be registered for see images attach

dgr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Nice fix! I'm a little surprised your napa didn't have the "injector install kit." Of course it was probably a good thing they couldn't find it since they wanted $102 for it around here when auto zone has it for half of that. Still ridiculous but bearable when you can't wait for the mail.

I made the guy at napa spend an hour finding me 3/16" fuel line and all of the corbin clamps they had to fit. I mostly bought them out of spite because I really dislike being told they don't stock something I know they stock

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
I would have removed the filter head bleeder and installed a pipe plug...;p:angel::D