Bad water pump

Deezelcaddy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
As some of you may know, I am doing a motor swap. It has been a struggle but I finally got it all bolted back together. The last thing I did was filli the antifreeze. In the process (about 3 gallons in )I heard a drip. Coolant is dripping out behind the harmonic balancer. I'm guessing the seal is bad and it's leaking out the weap hole? Could it be anything swap related? I just wanted to confirm my suspicions before I tear this thing apart again. Also, will there be much coolant loss at this point when I tear the pump off? It's days like this a truck payment doesn't sound too bad.
Thanx in advance for any help.

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
my advice...
take that junkyard engine and change every damn seal and gasket.
changing the front and rear seal while its in the truck is a PITA.
if youre running a turbo, i would learn from USNENFTS, pull the heads and change head gaskets also.
theres nothing more satisifying than opening your hood to a nice clean fresh gasketed and painted engine!!

would have been alot easier to do when it was out :D

Deezelcaddy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I did the gaskets and seals but the water pump looked new. Not even surface rust. Believe me, I am kicking myself now. Wanna know the best part? I have a brand new motorcraft pump on the shelf! Looks like I'm going to need to use it.