bad mpg's

ilm99cumminss

Reaction score
I've been driving my 89 7.3 idi and its been sitting on annd off for a year. But I drove it the other day after filling it up and only got 96 miles to a full 18 gallon tank that turns out to only 5.6mpg clearly not right so I started with replacing the air filter. Whatels can I do to gain mpg and maybe make it run a little better? Thanks. Trucks a 89 f350 crew cab long bed dually 2wd auto.

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Welcome to the site. I'd check for leaks! Also get your injectors pop tested and your timing set using the proper tool and talent. That cures most MPG ills.

ilm99cumminss

Reaction score
I've check for leaks I have found none. Also the pump was just put on the truck was timed a year ago and when I drove it this winnter I got 15mpg. Could the injectors also cause a long crank on start up? I have a 800hp 12v cummins I built and have the ability to pop test and rebuild injectors and pumps just the idi is a diffrent animal then the 12v cummins and duramax's I work on every day lol

DragRag

Reaction score
I would be looking at injectors if the pump was recently gone through. I would also check the compression. I have a pig of a 6.9 with low compression and it drinks fuel. mainly because I need to drive it with my foot to the floor to keep it moving, it cranks long to.

FordGuy100

Reaction score
Thats the equivilent of 5.33mpg

My guess would be its pulling fuel from one tank, and returning fuel to the other tank.

ilm99cumminss

Reaction score
Now that I think about it I have been haveing problems with the tank valve down on the frame rail... could that be the problem? Also does anybody know where I can get one and not have to chop the lines off and go to rubber lines? I like the clip on lines ford uses

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cv axle