Bad Filter Head

bghnkinf350

Reaction score
Hey guys,

What are the symptoms of a leaking or bad filter head? I ask because I recently put on a 7.3 filter head and have been having issues with the truck running rough, stalling and taking a while to restart. First time it did it, I slammed on the braked and it dies. Second time this happened, I was driving up a slight hill.

My other option is that the pick up is bad.....It does the above on the front tank, but have not really driven it on a rear tank bcause the sender does not work. I replaced the pickup and put a 3/8" Tee on the end (too big)?

Any help is appreciated!

Thanks!

itsacrazyasian

residentcrazyasian
Reaction score
i had a bunch of issues with my 7.3 fuel heater leaking and the bottom cup of the filter leaking. But both of those leaked fuel, wasn't really an air intrusion problem. I wonder if you have some of the broken plastic from the shower head getting stuck in your pickup.

are you getting good fuel pressure at the schrader? how old is the filter?

I went back to a 6.9 head for the lack of above problems and better filtration. There is a water seperator on my frame rail.

bghnkinf350

Reaction score
Thanks, I think I am going to do that just to eliminate one potential problem. The filter is about 3 years old, the one off the 6.9 was a few months old when I removed the head. My truck did not have a water seperator for who knows how long.....

itsacrazyasian

residentcrazyasian
Reaction score
Thanks, I think I am going to do that just to eliminate one potential problem. The filter is about 3 years old, the one off the 6.9 was a few months old when I removed the head. My truck did not have a water seperator for who knows how long.....

3 years old????

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It's amazing how the basics are overlooked.
change the damn filter first and then diagnose:backoff:backoff:backoff
as punishment, you not only get to chase newspapers but also get CSO duties for the month.;Sweet
you better hope to god you didn't burn up a injection pump because of you being cheap.

bghnkinf350

Reaction score
I already did the newspapers! I doo the CSO **** next.....but I am NOT riding in a 3 wheeler!!!!!!!!!!!!

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I already did the newspapers! I doo the CSO **** next.....but I am NOT riding in a 3 wheeler!!!!!!!!!!!!
you in a trike scooter would be a Kodak moment;Sweet:D
if it turns out to be a plugged filter, it's going to be a multi dept hazing session:D

berniesouthunt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am having a similar problem, I recently changed out my old 2 part filter for a single screw on type, yesterday looks as if its leaking from the top part were there is a single wire going into to it, Sorry for hijacking the thread.

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I am having a similar problem, I recently changed out my old 2 part filter for a single screw on type, yesterday looks as if its leaking from the top part were there is a single wire going into to it, Sorry for hijacking the thread.
bad fuel heaters are pretty common. if you operate only in the SF bay area, get a stick of JB weld putty that will stick to "wet" surfaces. cut off a chunk and kneed it up and pack it down on top of the heater port. i've sealed mime off years ago and the field fix is still holding.;Sweet

bghnkinf350

Reaction score
I think I have narrowed it down to the front tank now.....

I put the 6.9 head back on with the couple month old lightly used filter. It was a bit better, but had the same issue when I switched back to the front tank. Looks like I will be taking out the pick up again!

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
here's a pic of the "blob" and my clear PVC hose mod to check for air intrusion into the fuel system.

Attachments

• SL374812.JPG
    SL374812.JPG
    290.6 KB · Views: 13
  • SL374810.JPG
    SL374810.JPG
    293.3 KB · Views: 15