Bad exhaust leak !!!!

performancelaw

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've had a bad exhaust leak since I bought the truck. Figured out the passenger side manifold is cracked at the connection to the cross over pipe.

I'm looking to fix it ASAP but was wondering if anyone could tell me what I'm facing to get it off. Also where is the best place to purchase a new one or does anyone have a used one laying around they'd be willing to sell ?

Is this exhaust leaking robbing anything from the truck as in power or fuel mileage etc .... ?

Thanks for any input in advance.

gdhillon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
A more experienced/knowledgeable member will chime in,ut my understanding its diesels don't "care" about back pressure that gassers do.....my trucks exhaust doesn't go past the cab (po cut it of bc was bent). Imo diesels sound better with no muffler or cat, so I think since you have a leak just cut it of at the connection?

gonecrazyi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It will kill boost. Mind sure does. I have plenty of spares around if you are in the market for one..

hesutton

The Anti-Anderson
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Like stated, if your IDI is turbo'ed, it will kill drive pressure on the turbine. If not, it's not a huge issue, but it will get worse over time. I see manifolds on eBay all the time, and I'm sure Rock Auto has them as well. Don't have a used one to send your way, but someone else might.

Heath

performancelaw

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a turbo ... I figured it couldn't be good for it. It drives me crazy. It looks to be a pain in the ass to change ?? There's not much room in there. How much you want for a spare that you've got laying around ? I'm hoping to fix it soon. Hoping for a little better power and not so much noise lol.

hesutton

The Anti-Anderson
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't have one, but someone else might. It won't be fun to swap out that's for sure. Keeping the gasket in the right spot with trying to start the bolts will be a pain. Don't use an impact on the manifold bolts, don't want to break one off in the heads. Be sure to use antisieze on the bolts when you replace them. They require 35 ft/lbs. and follow a sequence. See below.

You must be registered for see images

Heath

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Getting the old bolts out may cause you some issues if one breaks. Ford or international still sells new bolts and they are an interferiance thread design. This means they interfere with the head threads so they wotn loosen up over time with all the heating and cooling cycles. Hold the gasket up on one end and instasll a bolt on the other end. Then drop the gasket down in place and install another bolt. Anti sieze is your friend...

itsacrazyasian

residentcrazyasian
Reaction score
The parts store should sell new dorman replacement manifolds. Pretty easy to change. The exhaust bolts are pretty good material. The one in my donor motor was an IOWA salt truck and every single one came out even though the heads were rusted to the point where a socket wouldnt grab them.

gdhillon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
really? i thought it was the opposite.

Well, I guess my advice about running no exhaust was wrong :(, but anyway for an example my buddy has a straight piped 03 6.0 and woaahh can hear that thing coming from across the town :p haha, and mine well not so much

So after awhile my absence of a muffler will bite me in the ass?

performancelaw

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't run a muffler either ... I don't think a lot of guys do. I just can't stand the exhaust leak. That's all you hear. The newer diesel motors are a lot quieter then our idi's. Listen to them at an idle. The new 6.8 can't be heard until they get on it. I like hearing the diesel run.

boosted power

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well, I guess my advice about running no exhaust was wrong :(, but anyway for an example my buddy has a straight piped 03 6.0 and woaahh can hear that thing coming from across the town :p haha, and mine well not so much

So after awhile my absence of a muffler will bite me in the ass?

Less exhaust after the turbo is good. But ya gotta get some hot air into that turbine first. ;Sweet

gdhillon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ic, mines na. I can't really say I've heard One of the brand new diesels run...I will have to.you tube it. Well to me my idi isn't as loud as it should be, I have a friend with a 06 f150 that has a straight 3.5" pipe with the 5.4 and it sounds better then my idi, but I guess his is relatively quiet at idle to

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
m2rtin