Bad day for my 86

Dieselcrawler

Professional wrench holder
Staff member
Reaction score
after a could years of sitting, I finally dug out and repaired the play toy in my dig. Well, on today's test outing, I was a little ******* it. Worst break I have ever had yet. Truck is still sitting in the woods. Going tomorrow to replace the knuckle.
You must be registered for see images attach

compressionignitionrules

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had a very similar truck many years ago when I was regularly 4wheeling. I left my 60 front open though and relied on my detroit locker 70 rear. I shoudl have used an F250 frame like you instead of the shorty F150> thats what broke mine.

one of my buddys broke a 60 knuckle in the bush on dad's famr but it was a 78/79 60 and the later ones were a lot tougher I thought.

loveley carnage . awesome trail truck:cheers:

compressionignitionrules

Full Access Member
Reaction score
what ratio do you use with the 42s? I had 38 TSLs on my truck , but my trans was the NP435 with the bull low 1st I had 3.54s , 4.10s would have been fine for me if I had the T19. I drove my truck licenced and insured the road too.

my frame was a 1983 F150 shorty, pulled rivets through the frame/cracked welded braced, repeated......... I didn't want to give up on it , had so many hours of labour into it.

compressionignitionrules

Full Access Member
Reaction score
did your lower bearing start seizing up from sitting too long? that sure would put stress on the top of the knuckle.

my neighbor had a 1981 F150 and his kingpins were seizing up , the steering box woudl flex the frame rails side to side when you steered R /L . even when it was jacked up off the ground. he drove it into the ditch after going around a bend in the road, it just went straight.:idiot:

Dieselcrawler

Staff member
Reaction score
No highsteer puts a lot of stress on the upper pin area. Ford knuckles are the weakest in this area and are known to do this.

I run 4.10 gears. Truck works great

Dieselcrawler

Staff member
Reaction score
All fixed and out of the woods. Sitting in the driveway at home again

compressionignitionrules

Full Access Member
Reaction score
BTW: wife was looking over my shoulder >saw your old pic and liked the beard.......................she trimmed 8" off mine last time she got close to it:cry:
must be because mine's got so much grey in it now.-cuss

my wife would have needed her own truck if I had still been 4wheeling when I met her.

my buddy had a 3"block on the top of his 60 knuckle in his 79 when he broke it. 3" drop drag link to match his 6" skyjacker leafs.

almost looks like you landed on a concrete slab where it is, at least you had somewhere solid to jack it up.

Dieselcrawler

Staff member
Reaction score
Yea gotta love pa rocks. I got lucky with it being on that flat rock. Everything went smooth on the repair other than snapping one of the lower cab bolts. It make it out with 3. Lol.

As for the beard, it been there since rons Michigan rally 5 years ago. 7 months ago I cut 6 inches off it. Won a few competitions with it too in the philly area.