bad camshaft position sensor

longhorn795

Full Access Member
Reaction score
can a bad camshaft position sensor cause missing:dunno, my truck misses when i rev it up then when it misses it blows some blue smoke. need help asap thanks

leojr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm new to diesels so don't put too much weight behind my post...

Mine out of the blue, running down the highway, bucked a few times then ran at about half power with the Check Engine Light glowing. It barely maintained 50mph until I could get to an exit. I expected the engine to die when I lifted the pedal but it settled into a smooth idle and the CEL went out. The next two days had a few times when the engine quit for a split second. And it died twice during parking lot maneuvers.

Everyone tells me there is no 'limp mode' because of a bad CPS but a new sensor solved all of my problems.

Even if it doesn't solve your problem, knowing you have a good spare is a good thing to have.

It was surprisingly easy to change so just change it and get that out of the way.

RenoF250

Reaction score
I understand it can make it miss but blue smoke usually indicates you are burning oil. You may be getting too much oil in your intake from the pcv but I am sure there is a better explanation.

94f450sd

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
How many miles on it? What year is it? were the injector orings ever replaced? Bad injector orings will cause it to skip and smoke.the cps won't make it smoke.

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
IH CPS #'s

1825899 Black, No longer available.
1876735C91 Gray
1876736 C91 Blue Get this one from an IH dealer if possible.

Change the CPS 1st, takes a 10mm socket with short extension, pass side next to crank pulley. Carefull when prying it out, it can break off, then a ***** getting it out. Twist it out if possible.

If that don't correct it, check your UVCH harness for lose connection.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
m2rtin