Back in an idi again.

Pipeliner_86

IDI up high
Reaction score
:cool
I bought a truck up north of Detroit last week. Its a 1994 F250 4x4 ext cab, ZF-5 speed with 296,*** on the clock. The turbo is a garrett, but it doesn't have the black ATS peice on top of the motor like most factory stock idi turbo's had. I can't find anything indicating what turbo system it is, the intake hose from the turbo to the air filter looks like a homebrew job. Blue flex-plastic hose with a knock off K&N style filter on the end. I'll throww up some pics when I get a chance. The truck is gonna be mine to drive, my wife finally got her way and is gonna start driving my Dodge. :backoff
The CDR valve is plugged into the drivers side valve cover and the hose off the CDR is pointing towards the turbo, venting all the blow-by into the engine compartment. I'll proly just make a RDT, keep it simple I guess. All in all the truck drove ok, the front drive shaft is off, and the front axle hubs were locked in the whole way home. I couldn't figure out where the vibration was coming from,until I looked at the hubs when I got home and realized they were locked in, spinning the entire assembly at 70+mph down I-94. It was dark when I got the truck, plus pouring down rain, and the stupid wipers would work (slowly) for about 8 seconds then shut off for 10 sec. Pev. owner said the drive shaft was off because he lost the u-bolts, and he was worried about the engine oil pressure, other then that it's supposed to be a " reliable" truck. It held good oil pressure all the way home, which is about an hour and a half drive on the interstae. Towards the end, it started th dip toward the low side, but never dropped out of good operating range. My old 86 I used to have never did read " good " oil pressure. The clutch felt tight, and the gears shifted well, no grinding. This was the main reason I jumped on the truck was that it had a fiver, and I was tired of automatics in diesel trucks, I was gonna buy a diesel with a hand shaker;Sweet Much more enjoyable to drive than a slushbox:puke:
I'll put up some pics when I get a chance, I haven't started working on the truck yet, I am wondering what other mysteries I'll find.

Attachments

• DSCN0089.JPG
    DSCN0089.JPG
    664.7 KB · Views: 44
  • DSCN0090.JPG
    DSCN0090.JPG
    628.6 KB · Views: 39
  • DSCN0091.JPG
    DSCN0091.JPG
    680.5 KB · Views: 39
  • DSCN0092.JPG
    DSCN0092.JPG
    680 KB · Views: 29
  • DSCN0093.JPG
    DSCN0093.JPG
    669.8 KB · Views: 41
  • DSCN0094.JPG
    DSCN0094.JPG
    685.5 KB · Views: 27
  • DSCN0095.JPG
    DSCN0095.JPG
    681.7 KB · Views: 35
Last edited:

LCAM-01XA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I knew it! I knew it! By the way, the oil pressure is due to hear buildup in the sender - we actually discussed that not too long ago, and the '87 and up trucks apparently have a switch for the gauge, and not a real sender like your old '86 had - all the fluctuations we see on the pressure gauge are not related to actual oil pressure at all, just heat soak of the pressure switch.

tractorman86

Reaction score
factory ford ATS.
you're just missing the stock airbox and got dryer duct in place of it.

+2 i would ditch that dryer ducting ASAP that cant seal very well where the wire runs to the end and when the filter gets dirty it will suck the ducting in on it's self.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Also in one pic I see something that looks like the wastegate is not connected to the pressure actuater. You need that hooked up or there will be boost going out and being wasted... Not used.

subway

be nice to the admin :D
Reaction score
looks like a nice truck overall, just need to get on that rust. i hate rust:mad: i hope its not to bad underneath.

i know what you mean with the wife taking the truck. i bought a truck with 4x4 and pay for it but guts who gets to use it when it snows.:dunno o well.......she is pregnant and hauling the kids

tractorman86

Reaction score
yup just traded for a gasser 85 250 4x4, she is already planning what stickers to put on it. needless to say i vetoed that idea...

opusd2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Who cares if it is rusty!? That is a sweet truck, congrats!

LCAM-01XA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Eh, it don't look like it has much rust, a few cheap body parts patches and he'll be good. But, what's up with the mirrors, never seen so wide ones like those.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cv axle