Average life expectancy of an IDI???

tonkadoctor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The average life expectancy of a car going to the scrap yard is about 11 years.

That said however....... it's not uncommon to see good well maintained diesel engines going 300k - 500k miles or more before needing rings, mains and rods and it's pretty easy to find 20 - 30 year old Ford trucks going down the road.

My buddy has my old '76 F100 with god only knows how many miles are actually on it and it's still running down the road as a daily driver, my '82 f150 I traded in '94 I have no idea where it's at now but I last saw it in '95 in Virginia Beach, my '90 F-350 was bought by another member here and it's running strong and he likes it enough to have done a ton of upgrades, my 2000 F350 I just traded with 340k miles on the clock and I expect my 2006 F350 with 93k miles will be still going strong 20 years from now.

poolguy

Slippery when wet
Reaction score
Keep the IDI.
The trans can get expensive, so take good care of it. Hopefully the "codes" problem is minor.

Last edited:

nicksorenson

Reaction score
I've got two trucks... I should sell one and I need to make the right decision. Here's my senario:

-6.2 Diesel Suburban-Runs great, very slow dog engine, haven't had a serious issue with it. 250k miles
-7.3 Turbo IDI-just bought it. Seems decently maintained. Good performer. Transmission just started throwing codes like crazy. 164k miles

I have LOTS of college debt. And I mean LOADS of it. I make ok money but am pretty poor due to my debt. I need to sell one of these trucks. I need to keep the truck that should give me more time before rebuilding. I can deal with injection pumps etc. But I'm talking overhauls. I wish I could buy something newer, but I don't have the cash to sink into a few year old truck by any means. I'm fairly mechanical and good with diesels. But... I can't afford to be rebuilding either engine. So... I need to sell the one that is not the most reliable. I don't know much about IDI's but it seems like a decent engine.

Looking for advice on the engine alone. I plan on putting a ZF5 transmission in my F-250 if I keep it.

Last edited:

oldmisterbill

Grumpy Old Man
Reaction score
Its a no brainer-keep the IDI.check all ur electrical connections -I mean ALL that relate to the transmission.U may find ur tranny is fine.I am assuming it is an E40D

JLep

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What is a bauman controller and why would you skip the electronics. Fairly new to diesels and know nothing about a tranny.

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
A Bauman is an aftermarket computer which seems to bring much better results with the E40DOA. Its not cheap though. I'm biased toward the Ford, which seems to be built for longer life since it has heavier duty components such as the piston cooling jets and gear drivend IP and timing components, however the Big C or a dropped valve has killed many a good 7.3. As far as being worn out...if neither of these get an IDI its probably useful for 300K miles ++. There are also a lot of 6.2s out there with a lot of miles. Any upgrades must be very conservative as the aformentioned cooling jets are not part of a 6.2's design, some had block cracking issues and such but it is a good motor. If I was in your shoes I would oil sample both, test oke and prod them, check compression etc. and choose the best truck in terms of obvious engine wear and tear, then keep it stock-ish, overmaintain it, and hope, and I mean pray that thing lasted until I was out of debt(as much as possible in our society of debt)

nicksorenson

Reaction score
JD, that sounds like good advice. Dealing with financial choices is tough. It isn't a huge amount I've got into either truck. But I'd like to keep it that way! :)

Mr. Bill, I will take a look at that tranny. I may need your help!
Thanks guys!
Nick

tonkadoctor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Keep the IDI. I am biased toward Ford but the Chebby 6.2 doesn't have a very good reputation for longevity and they are gutless to boot. Having driven several chevy trucks and Hummers with the 6.2 in them I was never impressed.

Rob94F250

Reaction score
I have 180K on my '94 IDI Turbo, and she is still running great. What condition are the bodies on the Sub and the F250? I would rather pull wrenches than do body work any day...

I find it takes me about 6 months or so until I am comfortable with a "new to me" vehicle. By then I have had time to check it over and know what should to be done to it, as well as knowing what work I have put into it and feel comfortable knowing that it is a reliable vehicle that I can put some trust into.

Lifestyle comes into play as well, kids etc. I really like a Suburban for carrying the kids around, although mine are now old enough that I am not dealing with car seats in the back of the club cab. I think the IDI is the better diesel engine of the two, especially since your Ford already has the turbo.

tbirdfiend281

Full Access Member
Reaction score
the 6.2 will hang in there right with the idi

the idi will perform better, so the winner is hands down the idi

im biased to ford, but i also checked around before i chose idi

lets give you an example of idi strength

my trucks motors had roughly 250k on it and was ticking good less some oil consumption from the previous owner not changing the oil, so ok one night it pops the head gaskets while im driving no big deal, ill just continue to add coolant

another night, a night when no one i know is up and i don't have the money for a wrecker to come get me, the sum beetch pops the upper radiator hose, im assuming from coolant system pressures rising from driving down the highway at 65+ mph, well i have 15 miles to go and im not stopping

one of our oil burner members heard the aftermath of that fiasco, i pegged every gauge on that cluster, and by the time i was down i was crawling up my exit ramp near my house, but i got it into the park in ride, locked the doors, paid my buddy 5 bucks to come get me after waking him up and went on my way. i came back about 2 weeks later, figuring it wouldn't started up, fired it right up drove it another 8 miles to my dealership with no coolant in it

i separated the cylinder head and the block so bad you can literally feel compression leaking from the back cylinder, and physically see it, might have been 1/4 of an inch gap

but ya, you really cant go wrong with either, but its hard to compare a motor making maybe 140hp vs a motor making probably 200-210hp

go with the turbo ford, and check your transmission main harness on the side of the trans. its put on there with a bolt, unbolt it, clean it, both sides, slam some dielectric grease in the connector, put it back on, and i think you can drive safely along your way

FordGuy100

Reaction score
Keep the IDI. I am biased toward Ford but the Chebby 6.2 doesn't have a very good reputation for longevity and they are gutless to boot. Having driven several chevy trucks and Hummers with the 6.2 in them I was never impressed.

Both are IDI's :D , but I know what your saying, keep the 7.3.

If your tranny is going on your ford, it will be a pretty big bill to fix. That being said, maybe you have a loose connection that is throwing the codes. Though, I would say that overall if I were to keep a rig, it would be the Ford.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lance

Members online

No members online now.