Auxiliary fuel tanks

Ididriver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
As the title says. I'm looking at adding a auxiliary fuel tank in the bed. Not sure what size exatly what size I want but I'm set on 45 gallons or bigger.
What's your guys opinion on them?like what size would you run? I'm really looking to not be stopping as often to fill up and buying fuel in bulk while the price is down. Take as big of advantage of low fuel prices while I can.
Looking at a in bed auxiliary tank with a built in toolbox. What do you guys got?

EDIT:http://www.4truck-accessories.com/F...=0&Search_Model=0&Search_Body=0&Search_Year=0

http://m.northerntool.com/northerntool/product/detail.do?itemId=3490024

MIDNIGHT RIDER

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My personal F-350 has the two factory 20-gallon tanks plus a 52-gallon aluminum tank mounted on top of the steel flat, against the head-rack.

The fuel-tank sits in the center, with an identical tool-box on each side.

I built the whole mess over twenty-years ago.

The DRAW-line of the big auxilliary goes first through a ball-cut-off valve that is screwed into the INLET of a Golden-Rod filter/sediment-bowl.

This Golden-Rod unit is housed in the larboard tool-box, along with numerous bottle-jacks, log-chains, lug-wrenches, and etc.

The DRAW-line proceeds from the GoldenRod unit to the manual 4-way fuel-tank selector valve that is located above the larboard rocker-panel.

Adjacent to the 4-way valve that selects the DRAW-lines, there is an identical 4-way valve that selects the RETURN-lines.

A RETURN-line connects this 4-way valve back to the big tank and dumps through a fitting in the tank's top.

Everything about this system is completely manual and mechanical and takes care of itself.

I dis-trust any system that employs either gravity-flow into a lower tank or the need to operate an electric pump to transfer fuel.

When all three tanks are full, I can leave Kansas City and come to the house without getting out of the truck and still have plenty of fuel.
;Sweet

MIDNIGHT RIDER

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I forgot to add that I have a SunPro gauge and sending-unit in the big auxilliary tank.

I took pains in adjusting the float mechanism, such that the gauge is dead-on accurate.

There is no 100-mile drive before the needle starts to drop; nor is there fifteen gallons still sloshing around in there when the needle is on E.

The filler-neck is 1-1/2" pipe, which is plenty big for the rapid-delivery nozzles at the truck-stops.

I welded matching tabs on both the filler-neck and the pipe-cap lid, such that a big Master lock goes through both.

I made a swivel on the pipe-cap with a keeper-chain, thus I cannot lose the cap.

Probably 95% of my driving is on the big auxilliary tank.
:)

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
I've got a 150 gal tank off a Volvo semi tucked up in my bed :D Got it at the scrap metal yard for 87 cents a pound and it was right at 100 pounds so it was $87. Not bad for a 150 gal tank. It was in the scrap yard because it had a pinch in one of the bottom corners where a driver had hopped a curb. I thought I was going to have to weld it up, but it wasn't cracked ;Sweet Way it sits in there you can't even see it. I got a set of tank straps off a semi and welded a couple of v blocks to secure it, works great. I LOVE the range when we're travelling with the 5th wheel. Last year we were able to fill in Oklahoma and then top off in Arizona then not have to buy any fuel the whole time we were in California with all that high dollar fuel and I think it was nevada or utah before we fueled again after a month in Cali.

I removed my stock front tank when I installed my brownie and I just use my rear tank as my reserve now

wmoguy

Reaction score
I have a 115 in my bed, and the two OEM tanks.

One thing to factor in to your desire to save $$ is the actual cost of the Aux. tank you will buy. It takes a lot of miles and thrifty fuel spending to offset that initial hard cost.

Edit: I just did some quick math. If you "invest" $700 in an Aux tank and the 12v pump for your bed, it takes 5833 gallons of fuel to "pay for the tank" Thats using the assumption of saving .12 a gallon on every gallon, which I think is possible. @ 15 mpg it takes 87,495 miles for it to pay for itself. Not exactly a quick payoff. Now that doesn't factor in the convenience factor of passing the fuel stations on the highway and rolling out an 800 mile day :)

Last edited:

Simp5782

SNOW TACKLER!
Reaction score
My 94 has the 19 gallon factory, plus the spectra 38gallon in the rear and I picked up a 105gal L shape with toolbox from big R around xmas time last year for $390. Which was a good price. I did a trip last year from eastern Montana to Memphis and drove all the way down and then almost back to Sioux Falls, SD before I had to get fuel. You have to realize though that at a certain point, especially around town driving the weight of the extra fuel is going to hurt you more than help. But for long distance trips like what RSDSL does with his 5th wheel it helps not having to stop in areas where fuel is higher I.E. CALIFORNIA!

dakotajeep

Patrolling
Reaction score
Something to note when carrying that much fuel. If there is a significant temp change the fuel may not be ready to handle the cold ie filling in florida and then driving to the great white north and having gelling issues. Basically, just remember that not all fuel is treated equally for the cold.

Thad

franklin2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Diesel is 7.15 lbs/gallon.

52 gallons = 371 extra lbs

150 gallons = 1072 extra lbs

115 gallons = 822 lbs

105 gallons = 750 lbs

That's not including the weight of the tank

Ididriver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Diesel is 7.15 lbs/gallon.

52 gallons = 371 extra lbs

150 gallons = 1072 extra lbs

115 gallons = 822 lbs

105 gallons = 750 lbs

That's not including the weight of the tank

I'm not too worried about the extra weight as the truck only weighs in at 5700 400 pounds isn't too much of a compromise for the added distance I can go

Dakota-I really dint think about that.but I have no plans to be heading far enough north to have any concerns about that.exept maybe when/if we drive up to new jersey again next year but by the time I reach there I'll probally have to top off anyways.

Simp5782-yes I fully realize that just driving it will hurt my mileage some but I'm willing to take that compromise. 390 dollars? Wow that's a good deal. How was the quality of the tank?I like that price:D

Wmoguy- thanks for the math. I was hoping for a little faster pay off than that but its whatever.I have no plans on ever getting rid of this truck unless I absolutely have to so it'll happen eventually. I'm really looking at it from a convince factor more than money saving factor. That and mileage has been in the gutter later.think that's fixed tho:D

Rldsl-that's pretty cool actually 150 gallon tank from a big rig:sly I wish I could find deals like that around me.I'd do it in a heartbeat.

Thought I'd mention too.I'd prefer to have an L snapped box so I can still put my tool box there without it sitting too far back or run one small enough to still fit my toolbox.as long as it still holds a decent about of weight.

Last edited:

Ididriver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My personal F-350 has the two factory 20-gallon tanks plus a 52-gallon aluminum tank mounted on top of the steel flat, against the head-rack.

The fuel-tank sits in the center, with an identical tool-box on each side.

I built the whole mess over twenty-years ago.

The DRAW-line of the big auxilliary goes first through a ball-cut-off valve that is screwed into the INLET of a Golden-Rod filter/sediment-bowl.

This Golden-Rod unit is housed in the larboard tool-box, along with numerous bottle-jacks, log-chains, lug-wrenches, and etc.

The DRAW-line proceeds from the GoldenRod unit to the manual 4-way fuel-tank selector valve that is located above the larboard rocker-panel.

Adjacent to the 4-way valve that selects the DRAW-lines, there is an identical 4-way valve that selects the RETURN-lines.

A RETURN-line connects this 4-way valve back to the big tank and dumps through a fitting in the tank's top.

Everything about this system is completely manual and mechanical and takes care of itself.

I dis-trust any system that employs either gravity-flow into a lower tank or the need to operate an electric pump to transfer fuel.

When all three tanks are full, I can leave Kansas City and come to the house without getting out of the truck and still have plenty of fuel.

;Sweet
Thanks midnight. Factory 20 gallon tanks? My front is a sixteen and rear is 19 I believe. I think installing the tank shouldn't be too hard....but evrytime I say that it turns into a major pita.

Brimmstone

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I got lucky and picked a 100 gallon rectangular tank from Tractor Supply for 60 bucks due to a crack in a weld seam. Has been sitting at the welder for several months now waiting for him to weld it up. Will probably go pick it up this weekend and just tig the crack shut myself add four mounting tabs and a fitting at the bottom of it so I can tie it into my fuel system.

wmoguy

Reaction score
I think I gave something like $300-350 for my L shaped 115 gallon tank with a 18 gpm I found on Craigslist. It even came with about 15 gallons of diesel in it! lol

I spent another $250 cleaning it up and having it sprayed w/ spray in bed liner to keep the uber clean lines of my pickup going. All in all I'm pleased with it and the price I gave.

GreenDiesel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
payed $350 for the tank (92Gal "L" shape) and 220 for the pump, all brand new

Still need a toolbox to finish it off

You must be registered for see images attach

You must be registered for see images attach

MIDNIGHT RIDER

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I traded two old used tires that were headed to the junk-pile for my big tank.

The guy had spent the day at a state surplus auction and had three identical brand-new never-used aluminum tanks, along with a truck and trailer over-loaded with other auction bargains.

He crippled into our shop with a ruined trailer-tire and a flat spare.

I swapped him the two old junk tires even for the tank; he left a much happier man and I wouldn't take a hundred-dollar-bill for the tank.

I mounted it onto the steel flat and then built the big steel tool-box/tank-shroud around it.
:D