Automatic Transmission Suppliers and Prices

TLBREWER

Windy B Ranch
Reaction score
Since all my trucks have manual transmissions, I'm not up to speed on all the automatic tranny differences...other than C6 and E4OD. What I'm looking for is a reliable supplier of the E4OD. I'm not looking for a racing transmission, but one that has been upgraded, modified, etc. to meet the rigors of diesel usage and eliminates the known pitfalls of the design. Any customer feedback, links, and prices would be greatly appreciated so that I can do some research. :hail

Tom

reklund

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Brians Truck Shop in Arkansas (I think it's in Arkansas...) seems to have the best rep for great customer service and top-notch products.

I've personally been to ATS in Denver...but wasn't all that impressed...

Ryan

TLBREWER

Windy B Ranch
Reaction score
reklund said:
Brians Truck Shop in Arkansas (I think it's in Arkansas...) seems to have the best rep for great customer service and top-notch products.

I've personally been to ATS in Denver...but wasn't all that impressed...

Ryan

Ryan

Good to know. ATS was one of the places I was considering.

I'm about to start a thread for a get together. Are you still in? Rob Fox is moving so location may be more flexible.

Tom

gsgIDI

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Tom
Four Wheeler magazine had a rebuild on a E4OD featured in Big Red rebuild. The article also mentioned a transmission shop in Illinois who is very knowledgeable on this transmission. You might want to check the article on the rebuild. I just purchased a 1990 Ford F-350 crew cab with a 7.3L IDI no turbo in it. It is in the shop for repair, having trouble finding overdrive. Transmission has just been rebuilt we'll see how it goes when the repairs are finished. Please tell your wife her truck is awsome, as I am a fan of FORDS.
gsgIDI

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
tom-
gary should be along shortly telling about his BTS.
In the meantime, I am waiting on the machinist to finish making the torque convertor adapter for running the turbo flexplate. What's the difference? The turbo setup does away with the heavy flywheel since the torque convertor is physically large enough to take up all the room inside that area of the trans.
The BTS adapter is dimensionally off enough to cause you installation grief.

razorback

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i live maybe 30 minutes from the BTS shop and work with their mom. i have never heard a bad thing about them or their transmissions.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
BTS.... Hmmm. I really can't say much but its the best your going to get anywhere. They have one warranty. Its for both sleding and everyday driving. Its "any horsepower... Any torque..... No questions asked...:thumbsup: They being Brian will stand behind what they build. Brian and I have talked for hours about my E4OD. First off the triple disc torque converter has 150 square inches of friction material. Guess what a stock converter has...... It has just 25 square inches of friction material. How they ever held up to the torque of a diesel I'll never know. Each forward clutch pack gets one more plate so that makes all things way better. All the lines are 3/8 for the cooler and Brian tells you to install a cooler off a late model psd. The fit in the bumper easy and cool the way you need it. The friction material is upgraded just like most of the gear sets. All the aluminum sprages are replaced with steel. Its just about the last E4OD you will need to buy. My 89 motor had the large heavy cast iron flywheel and pressed flex plate. The new torque converter will not fit inside it. Thats why you need a differant flexplate. Brian has them and they are cheap at around $50.00 as I recall. I had some problems with my flexplate changeover because the special spacer is no longer made by Ford and the shop BTS used made mine about 0.250 thinner. The starter gear was ingaged with the starter when it was almost tight to the crank. Plus the bolts went thru the crank flange and bottomed out on the sside of the main bearing radius rolling that first thread on the bolts. All 9 of them. I had a hell of a time backing them out without pulling the threads on the bolts or crank. Luckly the rolled thread was really minor so it cleaned up easily. When the trans shifts it now and you better be ready to move forwards. It really awakened my 6600 lb 3.55 geared crewcab.. Installing this trans you need about 28 inches of clearance under the truck. No floor jack will do that so be very sure you want to do this job. I did mine alone.. I don't have any "friends" to help me.... Brian told me they do theirs by jacking up the rear of the trucks and sliding them in from that direction. All the time laying on their backs.... Just like me. The trans weighs about 350 lbs too. BTS is my feeling the best you can buy. I'm sure some with say others are but my research didn't show that. Y'all can do the research and post what you find. Others need to know.

6 Nebraska IDIs

Reaction score
I have never personally purchased anything from BTS, but I've heard nothing but good things.
I will be buying a BTS E4OD for my dads 94 CC project when I get around to getting money to do so.
I didnt know there was such a PITA problem with installing them though?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
REM70

Members online