Votes: 21 31.3%
  • ZF5

Votes: 46 68.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

NCheek

Howdy
Reaction score
Yessir Damon, the T-18 has the 6.32 first gear ratio for those super technical crawls where the jump of an auto would be inappropriate... I'm like you, I would rather have a predictable acceleration.

To those who have an issue with "triple footing" it, being a wrecker, this truck is likely to be equipped with an auxiliary throttle cable for running hydraulics, and a mechanical line lock could be equipped on the truck to hold the service brakes for any situation where extra hold is deemed necessary.

Above all else, a truck that will be exposed to punishing conditions in remote locales should be kept as simple as possible to reduce the chances of being the guy who needs help...

jperecko

Diesel Ape
Reaction score
As others have said... T-19 preferred but if only between those 2... prolly a well built C6 would be better for what you describe

94turboidi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would go the zf route, probably just because thats what I swapped out for. A few hours ago my dad called me and his 1066 IH was burried next to the driveway. It was clear up to the belly. He could move back and forth somewhat. I tried pulling him backwards and broke the chain. Then I hooked forward and started spinning some so I pushed in on the clutch and was able to jerk it real easy this way and was able to get it out. My truck sits factory height but has brand new tires. I thought there was no way it was coming out when I seen it. I was impressed.

crashnzuk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I didn't read the whole thread yet, but for a no ******** work truck with the typical (it aint my truck) operator, I'd use the C-6. Put it in gear and mash the gas, hard(er) to screw up.
Travis..
Edit; if it were a truck that only YOU drove, put what you want. Otherwise, auto all the way.

79GLIDE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Never had a C6 lay down on me because of internal mechanical failure, but there are lots of ways the hydraulics can be compromised off road including excessive heat, bent, ruptured or broken lines, and/or damaged/punctured pan etc. Too many places for something to go wrong, and leave you spending, not making money.

franklin2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Best thing I have done to my truck is pull the c6 out and put the zf in it's place. You are not worried about on the road fuel mileage, but I just checked my mileage for the first time after the swap, and I went from 12mpg with the c6 to 15mpg with the zf, no other changes.

david85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm not a hard core off roader, but I have heard that the ZF is more prone to cracking the case in rough service, we've had at least one on FTE and heard of others.

My vote would be for the C6 because it is in fact the cheapest and most durable transmission between the 2 (yes, thats what I said:backoff:D). It is cheaper to rebuild and easier to upgrade. AFAIK, there are no upgrades for the ZF5 if you find yourself breaking them.

I agree the 4 speed stick is probably stronger, but requires more skill to operate than a slusher. Not sure if this truck will be operated by unsupervised employees, but thats something to consider if it is.

For situations that operate near MPH and high load, its hard to beat a torque converter. U joints on the drive shaft will also last longer as the fluid coupling takes up more of the vibrations of the diesel (so I've heard). Short of a neutral drop, the auto will be easier on the entire powertrain. Drop the clutch under the right conditions and it can easily ruin a drive shaft.

MIDNIGHT RIDER

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not sure if this truck will be operated by unsupervised employees, but thats something to consider if it is.

The secret to success with employees that one turns loose with a truck is to not fool with idiots in the first place.

When one hires an idiot, punk, nut-case, however you call it, it always costs more than they produce to keep them around; besides, one idiot in the bunch makes you and the whole company also look like idiots.

When a man gets sent out in a truck, that man is a representative of the company.

I have a few really good guys that I know can do the job as good or better than myself; if I can't get one of them to make the trip, the trip just doesn't get made.

The way I see it, it's better to lose a haul-bill than have to go rescue a trailer-load of cattle and clean up some idiots mess. ;Really

Sycostang67

Scooty Puff Junior
Reaction score
I'd go with the ZF, I've never liked any auto I've ever had. I like having one less temp guage to watch and I like knowing a lack of fluid from a punctured pan or leak wont leave me stranded. My mustang and my 85 F-250 were both auto to manual conversions. Both C6 autos I have owned made the truck feel completely gutless. Besides, it's called a MANual transmission for a reason. :sly

04_6.0

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There are a few more questions to be anwsered than auto or stick. What size tire are you going to run? What gear set? Are you going to run a under drive unit like a "crawl box" or a clune V? Ive have built qutie a few rigs setup for heavy off road use. All of mine have been setup with 40"+ tires. I would say it depends on a lot of other factors than just that. A auto is much more controlable on steep hills, ledges, off camber and even some down hill situations. Now a stick usually wins in mud, loose gravel, downhill and some other situations. Now if you are not going to gear it down and use an underdrive then go auto but if you are going to gear it down and underdrive it; it really doesnt matter what you do the crawl ratio is so low.

crawl ratio: trans x tcase x crawl box x axle ratio. in my current rig it is

2.92 x 2.72 x 2.72 x 5.13= 111 to 1

if i had a stick it would be
6.71 x 2.72 x 2.72 x 5.13= 254 to 1 this is about 13 feet per minute way low.

Id say anything over a 100 to 1 ratio is really good for crawling. My best friend has the second setup and when both of his cases are in low he usually uses 2nd or 3rd gear. both are awesome setups but u need to pick which is right for you. And if you are going to do a stick ill send pics of a wicked cool setup for a clutch break setup to build it rocks. Its the only way id run a stick.

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't think this thread is really helping you decide Calvin. LOL

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't think this thread is really helping you decide Calvin. LOL
mel-
it actually is helping quite a bit
to answer everybody's question, i'm building the truck for me. keep in mid i've been doing this for years in a ZF equipped f450 2wd. They're strong trucks, but the stiff suspension is less than ideal for the work. No, I won't be crawling over rocks with the truck, it is going to be way too heavy for the task. I'm going to have a twin line wrecker unit on the backside with gas bottles for torches and a welder to double up as a generator. these items will be mounted on the bed. the extra rigging and wire rope will also be competing for space too. In kali the law is very clear on abandoning wrecks.....you don't. If you go rolling down a hill, you better find a way to get it out or pay someone who can. In 20 years I know of only one exception. There's a Cat D9 facing belly up in a ravine where the only way in and out is by helicopter. the state gave that recovery an exemption for the time being due to the lack of equipment able to haul it out.

crashnzuk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Since this truck is for you, no reason not to use the ZF. If it were me, I'd get the one with the lowest 1st gear if you can bolt it up.
Travis..

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well it seems opionions are pretty well divided. I'm glad your able to get some points out of it. As for the D-9, I'm surprised if that was the case it was not just scrapped on site.

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well it seems opionions are pretty well divided. I'm glad your able to get some points out of it. As for the D-9, I'm surprised if that was the case it was not just scrapped on site.
the insurance paid off on the loss. but they are still on the hook for the recovery. trust me, there's be many guys salivating on how to take it apart and helo it out. part by part:eek::D;Sweet
The dismantling will have to be like a military mission. Everything will have to be helo'd in along with supplies for camping. Also, the area is overrun by ferral hogs, so protection measures must be in place too. starting to get the idea?cookoo

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
olsen726

Members online