Votes: 21 31.3%
  • ZF5

Votes: 46 68.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

jwalterus

Made in America
Reaction score
the insurance paid off on the loss. but they are still on the hook for the recovery. trust me, there's be many guys salivating on how to take it apart and helo it out. part by part:eek::D;Sweet
The dismantling will have to be like a military mission. Everything will have to be helo'd in along with supplies for camping. Also, the area is overrun by ferral hogs, so protection measures must be in place too. starting to get the idea?cookoo

hmmmmm......

you get the helo, I'll take care of the "protection measures" LOL

I know what my .460 weatherby mag will do to a black bear, I wonder what it'd do to a hog.... :dunno

david85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
the insurance paid off on the loss. but they are still on the hook for the recovery. trust me, there's be many guys salivating on how to take it apart and helo it out. part by part:eek::D;Sweet
The dismantling will have to be like a military mission. Everything will have to be helo'd in along with supplies for camping. Also, the area is overrun by ferral hogs, so protection measures must be in place too. starting to get the idea?cookoo

That sounds like a party in the bush if you ask me. Guns, heavy equipment, inflated jobber pricing, and even get to play with helicopters? What happens in the bush, stays in the bush (unless we're talking wild meat) :rotflmao

George_7.3IDI

Full Access Member
Reaction score
In 20 years I know of only one exception. There's a Cat D9 facing belly up in a ravine where the only way in and out is by helicopter. the state gave that recovery an exemption for the time being due to the lack of equipment able to haul it out.

Ummm... how in the f*** did someone roll a CAT D9 Dozer down a ravine?
That's a huge piece of equipment to be doing something stupid enough on to roll it.

Goofyexponent

Mentally Unstable..
Reaction score
In 20 years I know of only one exception. There's a Cat D9 facing belly up in a ravine where the only way in and out is by helicopter. the state gave that recovery an exemption for the time being due to the lack of equipment able to haul it out.

That is until you put this truck together :sly

Personally, I would vote ZF, but this is coming from a trucker that runs a 13 double over in some pretty rough terrain on construction sites. With some fancy foot work, the ZF will do ANYTHING the C6 will with less contraptions to hook up on debris under the truck.

david85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
dude-
the goal is to have eatable meat.
not to vaporize the damn pig.:eek::rotflmao:rotflmao:rotflmao

On the upside, the parts that are left will probably be cooked and ready to eat. Sounds like a time saver to me.

There might be some creative explaining when the dozer parts show up smelling like charred bacon and gun powder however;Really:angel:

I still vote T19/T18 as a first choice and C6 a second. The T18 has a nice granny gear, but the jump from 1st to 2nd can be a bit much for the diesel to reach across. The T19 with transfer case in low range should be able to give you good gear spread across the 4 speeds (in high or low) and you have an iron transmission that won't break as easy as a ZF.

Fatback

Reaction score
I vote manual with a hydro boost conversion to eliminate the vacuum pump. one less part to fail.... but I would go t-18 with a Ranger torque splitter.

jwalterus

Made in America
Reaction score
dude-
the goal is to have eatable meat.
not to vaporize the damn pig.:eek::rotflmao:rotflmao:rotflmao

oh c'mon, it'd make quick pork sausage for breakfast! :rotflmao:rotflmao:rotflmao

the really sad part....

other than my 30-30 and a few smaller rifles, that's one of my more realistic "toys" to use on the pigs.....

of course.... I could always bring out the BIG toy.....

Attachments

• m82a1.jpg
    m82a1.jpg
    55.3 KB · Views: 9

plywood

Recovered N/A
Reaction score
I like driving the ZF5 and thought about it as a swap option, but my C6 has a real tight torque converter and shifts solid, I can hold it in first or second and if I am climbing a real steep hill in the woods from a stop it's nothing to get going and I can get into second and third gear without struggling to get it in before I stop again. Low range is low enough for anything I can find and with the tight torque converter I've had no problem with surging and it will crawl up a hill at idle in low range first gear.

But the biggest reason is it's trouble free, I've seen alot of posts about flexing firewalls and bad master and slave cylinders and troubles bleeding them.

Oh yeah, the other biggest reason is, the clutch is so expensive on the ZF5, about as much as a rebuilt C6, a good rebuild. If for some reason your C6 goes bad, you can pick one up real cheap too.

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Chuck Norris would look at it and it would climb out o the ravine on its own.
here's the fuzzy google map of where it's at. It became an obsession this afternoon to find the location. let's see if it works.....
http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&sou...13,-121.798224&spn=0.001179,0.002068&t=h&z=19
finally.
right above the "imagery @2010" you'll see a non-green "oval". you're looking at the side of the tracks.
pan straight up and you'll see where the road was being cut and where it washed out below him.
where it washes out to where the D9 is at is a 1000' foot drop. switch the view to "terrain" and be amazed that something that big tumbled that far. most of the terrain is very steep and the soil is loose and sandy. you will have a helluva time hiking through it. yes, there's houses around but everyone there is off the grid. pan downwards and to the left you'll see the devastation from last summer's fire in the area.
when I get tired if sitting in the office, I go play in these hills;Sweet

BigRigTech

Diesel junky
Reaction score
ZF with 4.10's, exactly what I have in my 92....Love it, hauls good and pulls from a dead stop better than the 3.55's in my 91.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cv axle