• ZF5

Votes: 46 68.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm doing a complete refit on a 1986 F350 4x4 with a Vulcan twin line towbed on the back. It's going to be a no ******** work truck. If you had two choices for transmissions either a auto C-6 or a manual ZF5, which would you choose and why? This truck will have 4.10 rear gears, lack of top speed is not an issue since the reason for this truck's existence is to go crawling through bad roads and mountain roads.
I'm particularly interested in the feedback from the hardcore off-roaders.
For years I've recovered ruined trail rigs from Hollister and the Santa Cruz mountains with a twin line F450. I have a chance to build a rig just for that very purpose and suggestions are appreciated.;Sweet

George_7.3IDI

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Personally I like manual because you can shift into whatever gear you want no matter what but I guess you could do the same with an automatic if you have a manual valve body. The other convenient thing is you can throw a manual in 1st gear at 4x4 Lo and then get out and walk along beside it if you ever needed to. I also like the ability to downshift when hauling stuff to help slow you down...though yet again you can do that with an automatic also. Another thing might be the ability to run a PTO... which I think you can only do with the manual transmission but I'm not sure that's 100% true though. I guess it's just a result of growing up on a family farm... I like shifting.

George

oly_fab

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Since I went auto in my crawler I'd never go back to manual for that type of rig. If your having to pull up to objects and stop or slow the auto is better, like say on a hill against a big bolder or clawing your way through a rock pile the auto is easier.

For a recovery rig? I dont know, but I'd go auto.

Stu

Shadetreemechanic

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I voted zf, but then I reread your post. If you are crawling and off road alot and can keep the c-6 cool then I would probably go with it. When crawling and low speed start stops the automatics are worth their weight in gold.

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm surprised you didn't list the T-19 as an option, since that is more directly comparable to the C6 in durability and speed.

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm surprised you didn't list the T-19 as an option, since that is more directly comparable to the C6 in durability and speed.
mel-
i am down to one t-19 4x4 in my inventorycookoo
I also have PTO units for the ZF5 and not the T-19. those little monsters aren't cheap.

george-
for the auto trucks, there's engine mounted clutch pumps to run the hydraulics.;Sweet

SparkandFire

We're drinking beer
Reaction score
I had good luck with the C6 that was in my '89 bronco, that thing went through some pretty tough stuff and came out ok in the end.

My dad bought the bronco, used it for driving around the mountains where I grew up, then I drove the hell out of it. Seems to me if you can keep the C6 nice and cool, you'll have endless torque and more room for error than you would have with the ZF5.

I've heard that good heavy-duty auto trannies are good to have off road because they are more forgiving (and less likely to smoke a clutch when the going gets tough)

That's my (limited experience) opinon... :D

sootman73

Reaction score
I would go with the auto just because its one less thing that you have to multi task while you are already winching or pulling someone out. also it has the park gear to hold you if you are on a hill which would be in addition to the park brake. especially if you have to be half leaned out of the window watching where you are driving in tight quarters it would be hard to juggle the brake, gas, and clutch pedal.....

sle2115

NRA LIFE MEMBER
Reaction score
I'd have to say auto as well. I know the last 4X4 I had that saw serious use had a TH400 and it was much easier on the driver to do everything else they had to do. I'd guess for the same reasons as have been said, an auto would be the way to go for something like this as well, enough stuff to do without shifting a handshaker as well.

swuchase1

Reaction score
I HAVE C-6 WITH GEARVENDOR BUT YOU CANT USE (GV) IN 4X4 I LOVE MY C-6 AND I USE MINE OFF-ROAD A LOT PUT SHIFT KITS IN SO IT SHIFTS AT HIGHER RPM

FordGuy100

Reaction score
I would definatly go with the automatic, manuals are horrible offroad. Now, send me a 4x4 ZF, you dont need it :D

Seriously though, I would go with the automatic. Get a couple tranny coolers though, ones with fans would be the best for low speed.

freebird01

Post Turtle!
Reaction score
wow i see my opinnion differs for you guys. id say the zf5. compression braking is huge when out in the woods. i feel i have more control over a manual trans rig then i do an auto. ive wheeled with both. now the competition stuff the auto wins hands down.

but myself out on the trail i prefer the manual and just some low low gears.

MIDNIGHT RIDER

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have to vote the manual, yet I think a much lower 1st gear "bulldog gear" would be more suitable, would that be the T-18 ??

For every supposed advantage of an automatic, there are two dozen drawbacks.

A straight out of the box manual truck with nothing whatsoever done to it is up to the task as it sits; whereas, to get any kind of satisfaction at all from an automatic, one must first re-design it and add the necessary bells and whistles, trying to make it perform as good as the plain old manual already can.

I can take a manual truck that I have never before been in and move that truck forward or back 1/4-inch if I need to; with an automatic, it's like LUNGE and you have done went and run over whatever it was you were trying to get close to.

I would choose a three-speed column-shift with 3:07 gears before I would pick any automatic. ;Sweet

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cv axle

Members online