ATS DP mission.

IDIeselman

Reaction score
I have been looking at clearance issues with the factory ATS turbo install on my 79. Looking at the factory DP while it does flatten out it also grows in width and after reading someone's unhappy post of the aftermarket DP I'm curious as to just how much better the aftermarket unit will flow. So your mission if you are willing to accept it is to help.....ahhh it's to find out for me wich is better. How about it RLDSL you seem to have knocked the 4 row radiator theory all to ---- so how about the DP challenge?:D

SKimballC

Reaction score
It might depend on your clearance issues. In your '79, does that mean anything beyond the usual firewall 'reshaping'? How's the factory DP fit?
Can't personally tell ya how much of an improvement the 3" DP is over the stock one. I put the 3 incher on before the turbo went in the truck.

IDIeselman

Reaction score
The stock flat pipe will fit but I have plenty of room to fold the lip if the 3" is a BIG improvement in performance.

SKimballC

Reaction score
On the one hand, you have all the factory parts, correct? So just slap it on on, see how it runs, if EGT's are not too hot, has good throttle response, blah blah. On the other hand, other than $$$, why hold back? Bigger exhaust outlet, bigger DP, big in and big out= happy diesel.
There's a bunch of guys who are happy enough stock and a bunch of guys who can never get enough power. Where do you fit in that scale?

Last edited:

Ironman03R

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I replaced the factory DP with a banks and it was night and day difference! I cant tell what EGT inprovements were because that was before the gauges.

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
If you put a bigger downpipe on, it won't make a whole lot of difference unless you run bigger exhaust all the way back. If you put the 3"dp on, plan on 3" or larger pipe all the way and you'll see improvements. Make sure it's a straight through muffler as well, if you have the usual back and forth mufler, you just end up putting the restriction that you removed with the fancy DP right back in at the mufler

It will help the turbo spool up faster whenyou lower the restriction.

I'm up to my armpits in turbo fitting fun at the moment. We stufed the engine tonight andcan't get the @#*%! turbo to set back on the pedestal :backoff

I got the 3" ATS dp and am going to run 3" to the muffler and back then probably 4" through a couple of bends out in front of the rear tire. only reason for going to the 4" is because the local heavy truck parts place just happens to have a good stock of 4" bends and no 3"

----Robert