asmith's '94 turbo 7.3

asmith

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone, I bought this truck about a month ago, never having owned a diesel before. now i have been reading frantically trying to learn all i can about them. I still have a long way to go, but this website has been a great help. this tread is here to introduce myself, and more importantly my truck. hope you all enjoy lots of pictures.

this truck will be my dd and as i work construction, will be used to tow and carry heavy loads fairly often, but not everyday.

now for some stats

1994 7.3 factory turbo
upgraded exhaust and downpipe (not sure what kind)
everything else seems stock
5-speed manual
4x4
extended cab
long bed
unknown lift size
bigger tires

onto pictures
brought her home
You must be registered for see images attach

no rust paint is in great shape

interior is in great shape

engine looks stock to my eyes, anyone notice anything?

only question i have is what is going on here? is this bad?

FordGuy100

Reaction score
Beautiful truck!

If your going to be towing regularly I would consider a couple options. Get rid of the lift and get smaller tires, regear, or both.

Wyreth

Certifiable Noob
Reaction score
Wow, something opened that inspection plate like a tuna can! If it is driving, sounding, shifting normally, it's prolly the aftermath of a previous catastrophic failure. (dmf explosion?)

I would defiantly poke around the pick 'n pulls to find another one. Just to keep your clutch clean.

Also looks like either the rear main, or the front seal of the trans is leaking.

asmith

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Wow, something opened that inspection plate like a tuna can! If it is driving, sounding, shifting normally, it's prolly the aftermath of a previous catastrophic failure. (dmf explosion?)

I would defiantly poke around the pick 'n pulls to find another one. Just to keep your clutch clean.

Also looks like either the rear main, or the front seal of the trans is leaking.

yeah it is really weird. everything drives fine, so i am not too worried about it, but i would like to get it closed up again. nothing in the pick and pulls around me. it leaks ps fluid, once i get that cleaned up i can try and track down any other leaks, but right now it is really hard to tell what is leaking and what is not.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
That leak could be from the injection pump... I know what sounds funny but as there is any fuel leaks under the intake manifold they run out the back of the engine. At the back of the valley pan there is a drian and it emptys out on the top of the engine to bellhousing flange and can only drip down the passenger side of the engine. It will look like a head gasket or valve cover leaking. Yours is not a big deal yet. That ring gear on the flywheel looks like it needs to be replaced. Does the starter grind sometimes when you attempt to start the engine. These high compression engines start and stop on one of three places on the gear. So it wears out quickly. The gear is cheap around $25.00 at nappa. Easy to install and remove. Drill small holes in the gear teeth and hit with a chisel and hammer. Heat up the new gear in the kitchen oven when nobody is around but not hotter than 25o degrees. It will fit fine and loose till it shrinks to fit. Be careful to have the bevel side towards the starter or it wont mesh right.. Really nice looking rig too and welcome to the forum.

tham

1994 F250 IDI Turbo
Reaction score
Welcome to the site. That is a great looking truck. You will find that there are a lot of good guys and gals on here with a lot of really good know how and info. No one will try to make you feel bad for asking a question. Again WELCOME!!
Tim

fuzzy1626

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Great looking truck. Two things I would suggest, find a cover for the glow plug controller, get some cool air to the turbo instead of sucking hot air from the engine compartment.

asmith

Full Access Member
Reaction score
it has been awhile since i updated this thread. no new pictures yet, but i will soon. put a lumber rack on and a cross bed tool box. i love driving this truck, but a few issues are starting to rear their heads.

my returns are leaking for sure, i think my ip is as well. funny thing is, it has no problem starting, and runs great. i was looking over my engine today because it seems the oil leaks are getting worse and i noticed a big pool of liquid (it looks like diesel and oil) at the back of the valley under the turbo.:eek:

i have a pm into type4 about returns and injectors, and one to mel about a moose pump, so hopefully those will be happening soon, is there anything else i should be looking at for this problem. also i thought this would drain off and not pool up? it is pretty good size i will get a picture tomorrow.

my valve covers are leaking so i think i may do them at the same time as injectors and pump. recommended brand?

lastly it seems my radiator has some slow seeps. not very happy about that. so i am looking into a new radiator.

just to rant a little about POs. i think he pressure washed this truck before i looked at it, because there were none of theses leaks when i bought it, just a small one down the back. i even asked him and he said it did not have any except for the one. also said there was nothing else wring with it. well the ps leaked, returns, valve covers and i think the ip all leak. i take some responsibility, because i could have checked it out a little better, but i just hate it when POs lie about a vehicle. ****** me off.

anyway still love the truck even if it is costing me a pretty penny right now. hopefully this will be it for a little while.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
These injection pumps and injecters last for around 125,000 miles. Some get more and some get less. Just depends of the fuel your useing and the additives used in the fuel. A Moose pump and a set of new Bb codes will wake up the beast in your engine thats for sure. I do feel people shouldn't lie about what they are selling... You just have to look at something like its about to fall apart on you and offer whats good for you. I just bought a timing meter from a pawn shop on ebay... the meter didn't have a needed piece seen in the pics plus it was a broken meter. My cost was $231.00.... They made me an offer of $50.00 to keep it and they would refund the rest of my money. I have 9 of these broken meters. Why would I need another broken meter.... To buy the magnetic probes its going to cost $275.00 but I still don't need that either. You do have a nice looking truck. Did you ever get a differant dust cover for the flywheel area...

SparkandFire

We're drinking beer
Reaction score
Don't at all get discouraged over the issues you are having. Injectors, IP, return lines... all can be replaced on one nice Central coast Saturday afternoon. :D

Valve cover gaskets are easy to take care of, too... Biggest pain is getting the passenger cover off, because you've got to pull the fuel filter mounting bracket loose, which requires taking the belt off and removing the alternator and alternator bracket. Not a big deal, really. Since you've got a turbo truck like mine, make sure you disconnect the batteries so when you unbolt the glow plug relay and lay it off to the side it doesn't short out.

I picked up a set of Fel Pro gaskets at Winchester Auto (Parts Plus) for about $12 I think.

I know on my truck the 1/2 square socket plug in the valley pan was totally clogged up with dirt and sticks and grime, so the pan really, really fills up whenever there is a leak. It will eventually fill enough to overflow the back and then run down the top of the starter. Can't really get the plug out to clean it since that would require pulling the intake. Just fix the return lines and such... Sop up the spilled fuel, and keep and eye on it.

On the flywheel dust cover, that very much looks like tool marks to me... As if some long-extinct member of a civilization of **** Erectus took a iron shank used to crack oysters, and pry the vent open to see if something edible was inside.

People will go to all kinds of great lengths to sell a vehicle. There are plenty of honest folks in the world, but there are just as many shady ones as well. I always cringe when I pop the hood on a vehicle at a dealership and see all the hoses shined up and a sparkling engine.. ;Really

Last edited:

dizdak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
very good looking truck... my trans dust plate is split like that as well.. one question, on the 6th picture down in the engine bay, what is that canister looking thing coming off the intake hat? the green, red, yellow thing? i don't have one, wondering if its needed..

SparkandFire

We're drinking beer
Reaction score
very good looking truck... my trans dust plate is split like that as well.. one question, on the 6th picture down in the engine bay, what is that canister looking thing coming off the intake hat? the green, red, yellow thing? i don't have one, wondering if its needed..

Air filter service indicator. Is the hole plugged on yours ? It tells you when your suction pressure gets too high through the filter -