asmith's '94 turbo 7.3

GOOSE

Happy IDI'er
Reaction score
That is a sweet ride. I would chalk up those leaks and say it's just the nature of the beast. The truck has a great stance, front tires look straight, tires are the right size for the lift you have. Nice truck.;Sweet

diezelcrazee

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I really like the looks and the posture of your truck! It's the same color as my latest (which I haven't seen other than pics, bought it in another state, but haven't went to get it yet).

I want my truck to have the same kind of look as yours, but that will take some time. Again, great looknig ride!!! ;Sweet

asmith

Full Access Member
Reaction score
sorry i have not replied to these earlier. somehow i missed them:frustrate anyway thank you all for the compliments, i have been really enjoying my truck and it has been a great vehicle. i will be updating this thread hopefully this weekend with some pictures.
Nice truck!

What kind of fuel mileage have you gotten?
actually i have been knocking down 17.5 mpg :cheers: but i keep my foot out of it and only do about 60 on the freeway. yeah people blow by me, but i stay in the slow lane just cruising listening to my country music. it has started to drop a little bit, but i think it is because i have the original injectors and pump on it (170k) so i need to replace those.

What kind of wheels are those?

all i know is they are made by american racing and they are 17" dia.

now for the real reason i dug up this thread. i replaced my water pump and thermostat last week, because the pump gave up the ghost rather dramatically. anyway ran it a day with water, to check for leaks, good to go. fill it with brand new fleet charge. and today the radiator started leaking :mad:-cuss. so i am going to look into a replacement, but as a temporary fix so i can get to work and back, is stop leak bad for your cooling system? i have never used the stuff i plan on fixing the issue as soon as possible, and i would is possible like to reuse the coolant since it is brand new. opinions? horror stories?

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
My opinion is to never use any kind of stop leak in a Ford idi.
I've used certain one's in gas engines and gm diesel's, but would never in a ford idi, I think it would screw with the additives needed to prevent cavitation.
Well okay I kinda retract that to a point. There's this stuff that comes in a small paper tube, maybe one inch diameter and three inches long, it's a powder. I would maybe try it. I'm not sure where to buy it as I got it from a budy that does oilfield work. I'll try to see if I have any laying around to get a name off of it.

On the inspection cover, someone probably did that for drainage/inspection purposes.
Personally, I wouldn't worry about it. Or if you feel the need, just bend it back up. All of them I've seen have that split in them.

In my experience, anytime you replace one cooling related component, something else goes. It never fails to happen.

By the way, the problem with stop leaks are they clog stuff that doesn't need clogging.

If you use one, plan on replacing the radiator(as you mentioned you would) plus the heater core.

Jm2cw.

gdhillon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Man thats a nice looking rig!

My inspection cover is slightly split to....now could it being split slightly be a bad thing when driving offroad ?(muddy,dusty, deep rut conditions)

asmith

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the replies guys. i am glad you guys like the truck. it definitely looks beter in pictures than it does in person. a 10ft rig. the paint is chipped in areas. but it is a truck so it doesnt matter.

79jasper that is my feelings too. i just pray the radiator holds together til next week. i cant find a champion radiator anywhere. i looked on ebay and couldn't find one. does anyone have a link to one? also looking online all the places said they were out of stock. talked to one who said they should have some in on Monday. hopefully i can make it til then.