ARGH Fan clutch Failure ....sets back diesel conversion

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Argh was driving this Sunday uphill on highway to campground when suddenly engine seemed to rev more freely and have an increase in power Generally accepted as a good thing...no?????;Sweet

Well I arrived at the campsite about 10-15 minutes later. I noticed the engine :puke: coolant which is not new on a hard climb or run under load on warm Okanagan Day. Time was around 15:30 HRS

Later that night 22:10HRS after it cooled I jumped into the truck to drive for More beer for Val and I. On the way I noticed that the temp gauge was pegged on H!

I pulled into Cold beer n wine store and engine smoking and all kinds of steam and stench:eek: Popped the hood, and and looked only to find steam in face:mad: so I left and got beer Did I mention this was a run for more beer???

Well I came out n grabbed my flashlight, and looked and suddenly saw a fan with a clutch stuck into the rad and a shaft with no fan and clutch where it was supposed to be.eek:

Well I was choked I could see a few bad rad cores (DAMN Aluminum rad) See above for description of FAN embedded into RAD

Well I grabbed the multi tool Pulled one Shroud bolt out reached down and removed the Fan from the Rad to discover not a couple bout about 7-8 cores damaged.

Time to hustle as I need to get back to campground by 23:00hrs TO GET IN!!! Did I mention I was on late night run for beer um 22:30 to be exact now grrrr...

Well I walk across the street to gas station...and NOPE no bars leaks kid dont know what it is even.

Walk across other street and YA Freakin Ha they gots bars leaks by the bottles and lots of em.

Now I got bars leaks, 2 bottles ought to do right? and a bucket of water. I fire the engine (which barley turned over) and start dumpin in Bars leaks and water, only to create the proverbial gusher as the cool water hits the hot rad and inside of block to create a geyser of HOT boiling water, steam and Bars leaks. I continue and cap the rad, jump in and drive (FAST) to campsite 22:40-45 HRS now....9Kilomters to camp site!

Get to camp site (with Beer) and I mean JUST get to camp site...as the engine is gettin tight and oil thin (low pressure)

Pull in in a cloud of steam smoke and noises like a old radiator heater in an old building.

Now today Monday, I get up round 09:00HRS + - a few. I drink coffee, wake up and evaluate my situation. I yank the rad and find not just the first set of damaged cores but now a second set on the upper edge of rad hosed too.:eek:

Well I carefully cut all the fins (right through) on the rad out around the damaged cores. I start to cut off the split and damaged area to create clean cuts and fold those back to make a temporary fix. Call the local rad shop and hes familiar with this and can (GLUE) get that glue the rad with special glue.

OK in all this I forgot to mention that I had taken out my two 3Gal. containers of water for emergencies like this (while off road 4x4ing) to make room for camping gear!

I fix the rad best I can install it (still no fan) and fill with cold water....no big leaks to speak of. OK

We remove food from cooler, fill it with water, and make a run for it to the Rad shop about 25 minutes away. Well we got to within 10 minutes and had to pull over and refill rad from the cooler. Again the geiser but not too bad this time.

I get to rad shop and pull rad out. Repairman glues rad. (pressure tests) shows only 1 small leak. At that point he had only glued the lower part the worst, my cut/fold/crimp was holding tight on top repairs, but I asked him to glue em anyway.

Well now. we make a dash for it, get about 15 minutes driving and arrrrggggg too slow of traffic to keep air movin on rad to cool engine so I heat up again.

We pull over at a beach, let Dustin my G/F Vals 3Y/O son out to play in water and I cool engine down again.....45 minutes later on our way.

We drive about another 15 minutes and I again get hot, pull into my friends who is my welder pal, to get more water. He helps out and within 25 minutes we are on the way.

Well it's about 35- 45 minutes to our place. Well we got the heat on full bore, windows open HOT summer day outside, and we make it all the way home where I managed to secure the only clutch I could to replace what I had thrown out at the camp site.

Now I have had dinner, and within 1/2 hour I had the stupid shaft off and the new clutch on the fan and all installed. Filled with water, and running! Time for more beer. We go for a drive and it's great got good cooling and BEER!!

I'ld like to show the pics but the darn things wont load grrrr.

DARN pics to large gotta resize em some how....grrrrr

Woo Hoo...finally got me a batch image resizer to do a group of pics and it works great!

Attachments

• resized-Front of Engine.jpg
    resized-Front of Engine.jpg
    27 KB · Views: 7
  • resized-Fan side of Rad.jpg
    resized-Fan side of Rad.jpg
    59.2 KB · Views: 4
  • resized-Lower Holes repaired.jpg
    resized-Lower Holes repaired.jpg
    59.3 KB · Views: 4
  • resized-installing Rad.jpg
    resized-installing Rad.jpg