are 89 and 92 steering shafts interchangable?

GRU

fear the chicken legs
Reaction score
my steering shaft is shot on my 89 in my sig. i have to pull my camper with that truck. i found out the slip joint part is really worn and my u joint is loose in one direction. i dont want to spend $250-275 on a borgenson for this truck. my thought are swiping the factory one of my 92 dually project and buying a good borgenson for that one later on. will this work?

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Put a tape on it, the break from all suppliers is 91. Gear end is the same but the column might be different, d-dd-or 3/4 spline.

tenlug

Reaction score
The rag joint at the bottom of the steering shaft in my 85 was worn so I pulled one out of a 94 and it fit with no problem. Nice and tight.This is a good upgrade for the 86 and earlier trucks, you get the Ujoint at the column and the better joint at the box. $15 at PAP vs $275 was not a hard decision. Steve

bike-maker

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I used one out of a 89 in my 84 to eliminate the rag joint; so between what Tenlug and I have done, it should bolt up.

bike-maker

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Wait a minute.......I swapped the steering column out of the 89 at the same time, so I'm not 100%. But I'm pretty sure they both bolted up just the same.