aquired 20 gallons of pink colored marine diesel fuel. anyone ever used it???

NTOLERANCE

I'm the cotton swab
Reaction score
Friend of mine does construction/excavating. LAst summer he was super busy and bought ALOT of red fuel for his equipment. About 30% more than normal by his records. All Legit use in backhoes and tractors.
After a recent fill, the DOT shows up at his shop. A Woman. Says, "I have a record here that states you buy ORD, and I would like to check and be certain youre not using it in on road equipment."
My friend knows there is NO red fuel in any licensed truck he owns. So he willingly agrees, sure, check them out.

She immediately walks over to the truck (6BT Ram 2500) that not two hours earlier was at the station filling up the transfer tank with ORD - and dips it - this ones ok.
They walk over to the only diesel dump truck they have - Ford L series or something with a 6BT - she dips - this one is ok. They looked at several gas powered dump trucks (69 C50 292 gas staight six, 65 Ford, with a 390, ect, confirmed they were gas, and moved on)

My friend says - " Want to dip this one? "(79 F350 with a 6BT) She says "Nope, that truck is too old to have a diesel"
My friend thinks to himself " well thats good to know"

HE says " How about this one?" - 85 F350 with an IDI - she says yes, they walk over - she dips both tanks and both are dry. She has issues getting the dip stick into the tanks to get fuel, finally she does. "Yep this one is good to" Never mind both tanks arent being used due to rust/senders/shower heads, and the tank being used is behind the seat - ala 75 F230 style. NEver saw the filler neck behind the door at chest height. ( I dont know why, my friend has a thing for behind the seat tanks. ALL his Fords have em.)

She never checked ANY of the PRe 1980 Fords and let me tell you here are about a dozen at my Friends shop.

After wards he asked her, "how did you come to be here today? Why here and why now?" She says it was just random....

Yeah, random the fuel station likely called the DOT on him for buying so much red fuel. He WAS buying fuel there for decades...that was the last fill up.
He mentioned something about talking to the fuel station owner at Church that coming Sunday.....:backoff

jada64

Boost Junky
Reaction score
I bet with the money they pay everyone to oversee the the ORD fuel is being used legally could just cut some of the taxes back and not let it matter.

And if its their policy to not dip anything older than 1980 thats something good to know.

chris142

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I doubt if the station owner narked.the records that the station owner keeps threw up a red flag.

mjs2011

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have pondered this for awhile too with having a 50 gallon tank in my bed for WVO. I DO run wvo on the highway, which is the same as if I was running ORD. No road tax. I have always thought though, If they ever dip my tanks, and find the spare in the bed, I can claim that I only use the WVO/ORD/(Whatever is in the tank) when I am on the farm tooling around.

FarmerFrank

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have pondered this for awhile too with having a 50 gallon tank in my bed for WVO. I DO run wvo on the highway, which is the same as if I was running ORD. No road tax. I have always thought though, If they ever dip my tanks, and find the spare in the bed, I can claim that I only use the WVO/ORD/(Whatever is in the tank) when I am on the farm tooling around.

I looked into this after everyone kept asking about taxes on my WMO. FOr Pa i dug around some but found no forms to fill out for an individual using alternitive fuels. I figured if i made up a low numer like 20 gallons / year and paid the tax on it i could keep the paper work in my truck if there ever was any questioning. How will they know how much i have acctually burnt? But my searches came up blank so i said oh well.

1466IH

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was told that at least here in Illinois that if you have less than 100 gallons at any time you are okay if you have more than that they claim that you may be selling it to others and then it is a big nightmare of paperwork and taxes and fees

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk

FarmerFrank

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I seen forms for taxation for people selling it, i seen forms for buisness but none for private use. I know a friend of mine inqured about distilling ethenol for his car and i forget the amount he was alowed to make a year but it was a good bit. They also told him he had to add Kero or something along those lines to denature it, and i doubt anyone wants to drink my WMO ;Sweet

Zaggnutt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I seen forms for taxation for people selling it, i seen forms for buisness but none for private use. I know a friend of mine inqured about distilling ethenol for his car and i forget the amount he was alowed to make a year but it was a good bit. They also told him he had to add Kero or something along those lines to denature it, and i doubt anyone wants to drink my WMO ;Sweet

There's definitely a tax requirement for PA requiring taxes be paid on any alternative fuel privately used above a certain quantity, but I don't think anyone is enforcing it. I looked into it a couple years ago and found the requirements and avenues for getting forms. I'll dig and see if I can find the info/forms....

travelinman31

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Although it would be a paper work nightmare. You can actually get the taxes back on unleaded fuel that you run in your lawnmowers, four wheelers, etc.. Most of the taxes are ROAD taxes, and therefore you can get them back if you have all the paper work in order showing where it went to a non highway application. Same with diesel, take a contractor that lives in the city and no off road diesel for sale. They can write off the taxes on diesel they run in their Bobcat or tractor. Again it would be a paper work nightmare, and there would be loopholes of writing more off than you actually used in tractor and actually ran in truck. It'd be easy to show how much you bought, but if your hour meter is out on the bobcat a 4 hour work day could turn into 10 hours really quick, meaning some of that fuel was actually ran in truck.

travelinman31

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You would use IRS Form 4316. I work for a school district, they are untaxable and this is how they get their money back on fuel purchased for maint. trucks, buses, ag science trucks, etc. But individuals can do the same thing with diligent paper work.

tjcsr

Reaction score
they dip people here all the time, farmers, hay haulers, loggers, everyone has holding tanks in the back of their trucks for equipment.
i know a guy that gets dipped 2-3 a year.

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've been in Shipshawana Indiana and seen them dip tanks, they come to the Cattle Auction where there is maybe a 100 or so pickups. Even seem them put locks on the wheels.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SixFourShanks08

Members online