aquired 20 gallons of pink colored marine diesel fuel. anyone ever used it???

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
IIRC the test material doesn't just show fuel color, but reacts to the dye itself. So masking the color, even with WMO would still not fool the test.

Truth.

In the past (few years ago)
Off-road and highway diesel had different sulfur levels. Off-road had more.
But now that's all changing/ already changed in most areas.

FarmerFrank

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Truth.

In the past (few years ago)
Off-road and highway diesel had different sulfur levels. Off-road had more.
But now that's all changing/ already changed in most areas.

I was having touble with my combine losing power this year and couldnt figure out why. Turns out my supplier switched to ULSD off-road this summer. That deutz engine is not a fan.

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I was having touble with my combine losing power this year and couldnt figure out why. Turns out my supplier switched to ULSD off-road this summer. That deutz engine is not a fan.
threaten your Deutz you'll give it a new home like this one.......:eek:

Attachments

• deutz rat rod.jpg
    deutz rat rod.jpg
    106.2 KB · Views: 133

FarmerFrank

Full Access Member
Reaction score
threaten your Deutz you'll give it a new home like this one.......:eek:

I love it.
They say deutz engines are expensive to work on, ill have to take their word for it because that thing has never gave me a lick if trouble. For a 190 hp 5.9L diesel it sips fuel for the amount of work it does. But it is NOT a fan of ULSD. I bet I lost 30hp with this new crap in the tank.

NO_SPRK

User & Abuser
Reaction score
A buddy of mine leaves his atf bottles in the bed, its worked 3 times so far. Same dye. Or so I was told.

I just came home from the Trinidad area up north. Around Willits I saw a chp scale truck, crown vic and a little sign wanting trucks to stop for inspection. Well there was a creeper leaning against the scale truck tailgate.

I saw a 200ish duramax with a flatbed pulled over at their little spot.. I dont wanna know what they were doing.. im thinking about calling chp to ask what its all about and would I have to stop since im a pickup

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk

89Laredo

Underemployed
Reaction score
I love it.
They say deutz engines are expensive to work on, ill have to take their word for it because that thing has never gave me a lick if trouble. For a 190 hp 5.9L diesel it sips fuel for the amount of work it does. But it is NOT a fan of ULSD. I bet I lost 30hp with this new crap in the tank.

Deutz? Are you using a 60s Alice or something?

2188s 8.3 doesn't seem to mind, but I've never used it before the ulsd swap.

It did about a gallon an acre during wheat harvest 2011 with ~8000hrs. Didn't pay attention when I was running it last fall in corn/beans. Has almost 10k now.

HammerDown

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'd use it in a heart-beat...and keep an empty bottle of ATF in the bed > if the-man dips your tanks tell the ***** you put ATF in the fuel to lubricate the pump and injectors.

Fock this Government and the EPA > we're being charged a ridicules price for diesel that really isn't worth sh*t!

BTW, when leaving New Jersey last week heading (back to Pa) I saw a station selling "off road diesel" for $3.49 a gallon...if not on the other side of the road and a pain in the butt to turn around I would have filled BOTH my tanks with the stuff > that's even if the the seller would have let me pump it into my truck???

FarmerFrank

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Deutz? Are you using a 60s Alice or something?

2188s 8.3 doesn't seem to mind, but I've never used it before the ulsd swap.

It did about a gallon an acre during wheat harvest 2011 with ~8000hrs. Didn't pay attention when I was running it last fall in corn/beans. Has almost 10k now.

R50 Gleaner. It has close to 3000 engine hours on it. Brother wants to do an 8.3 swap on it but I am very reluctant. I'm going to have to try to time it for the new fuel, I noticed it not building the same amount of boost either. I can't give an gallon/acre amount but I know it will run a couple days on a 100 gallon tank with all day running

FarmerFrank

Full Access Member
Reaction score
But a 2188 is processing much more grain than my 50 so it's going to hog the fuel a little harder.

I'd use it in a heart-beat...and keep an empty bottle of ATF in the bed > if the-man dips your tanks tell the ***** you put ATF in the fuel to lubricate the pump and injectors.

Fock this Government and the EPA > we're being charged a ridicules price for diesel that really isn't worth sh*t!

BTW, when leaving New Jersey last week heading (back to Pa) I saw a station selling "off road diesel" for $3.49 a gallon...if not on the other side of the road and a pain in the butt to turn around I would have filled BOTH my tanks with the stuff > that's even if the the seller would have let me pump it into my truck???

Usually unless you know the guy they won't let you pump straight into your tanks. A transfer tank or a 55 gallon drum is a worthwhile investment sometimes.....

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Yeah they will sell it, there in the business of selling it. But ya better have 5 gallons cans to put it in or big tank in the bed. Places that sell a lot of it, have been known to have a Fed sitting around the corner watching. Your only going to save .40 a gallon, but it could cost a hell'va lot more if caught.

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
Here red fuel is way more than #2. About a dollar more.
Only one station even has red fuel probably within 100 miles. They don't pay attention.
Guy put about $50 of kerosene in his truck "on accident."
Came in and said the pump isn't marked... Bull. Damn idiot.
Red nozzle for off-road.
Green for #2.
Yellow for kerosene.
Says right by the nozzle hanger.

opusd2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well Kerosene will definitely drop the power levels and mileage, and just wait to hear that knock!

Since both on and off road have the same levels of cetane and pretty much only differ in color and taxes, it's just a hassle to accidentally fill a tank or a couple of cans with fuel from the farm's fuel storage tank for my truck. But if I ever were to such a thing, the additives I'd have to put in to offset the loss of power and efficiency would nullify any gains with how in WI we have more cops than good (I mean regular) drivers who like to do the easy duties by dipping farm trucks or older trucks in general. Honestly, the quality of fuel my folks get is reason enough to never stop in and fill the tanks off of the farm. It's just plain poor quality crap compared to fuel from a few years back, and this is pretty much the same across the board around here. But bear in mind I'm old enough to remember too much and mentally compare the past and present. I can feel the "I remember whens..." sneaking into my general speech, that's not good :)

But I do have my own blend of additives that gets added when I fill the tank to offset what I get when I fill up the truck. Works for me, we all like our own stuff. My dad is still an STP Oil Additive junky

rjglenn

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Um, the money from the fuel taxes goes to maintain the roads... If you don't want to pay fuel taxes maybe we should raise everyone's income taxes some more, even though they're pretty high now, or you could just stay off the roads since you don't want to pay to maintain them.

The penalty or fine for running ORD is not the problem. Once caught, they submit your name to the IRS as a known tax evader. I don't know about ya'll, but I'm just not that interested in having the IRS take a close look (audit) at my books...

chris142

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Put a qt of blue 2 stroke oil in your tank on top of the red fuel. That should get rid of the red.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IDIBronco86

Members online