Anyone out there have a late IDI TECA module?

mccall52

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hello all,

I've heard in the past there are later TECA modules for Ford E4OD (have F4 at the very beginning of the part number, denoting 1994) that I understand are more forgiving in terms of what triggers slipping. Does anyone have one of these available, either for sale, or willing to make some sort of arrangement to make available for a test?

Turns out I'm chasing a code 62 after rebuilding my transmission and replacing torque convertor with a triple disc remanufactured unit. During my build, I installed a complete Transgo Tugger kit. I figured between this and the convertor it would be a sure thing. Not so much. This past weekend, I replaced the harness connector for the solenoid pack, and today I removed and cleaned the tach sensor, measures 2.4k ohms, not to mention the tach works fine.

I'm still running the original solenoid pack. I think it's original at least, it didn't have any of the 'cuts' in the webbing between the solenoids like I see in pictures. I drilled through all the cavities as instructed by Transgo. Solenoid windings all test 21 ohms, but could still be plugged up, etc. Back when I first got the truck I could hear the solenoids 'click' inside when ground applied.

I haven't decided if the module is what to do next or not, more or less arming myself with options. I appreciate your help.

Ilovejunk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i don't have one personally, but in my searches over the past few week for parts for my wrecked 88 i found a t-boned 94 with and idi and auto trans at the salvage yard; if you you let me know where the module is located on the truck i will go and see if its still in the truck, and see if i can get it cheap for you.

mccall52

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I appreciate your prompt response. If it can be had for relatively little effort and money, I'm willing to give it a go.

TECA is located in the firewall in the area of the brake booster, either below or to the left, in a vertical orientation. You will most likely only see the electrical connector, flange bolted to the firewall, as the module itself extends into the cab. It's basically a factory hacked EEC-IV module without the fuel injection provisions.

Please let me know if you have any questions. I can take a picture and attempt to post if it helps.

Ilovejunk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
so same spot as where the standard ecu is mounted on normal gasser truck? i'll look next tiime i am over there and let ya know.

mccall52

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That's a much shorter version of where it is than I was able to provide. I appreciate your help.

tbrumm

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Turns out I'm chasing a code 62 after rebuilding my transmission and replacing torque convertor with a triple disc remanufactured unit. During my build, I installed a complete Transgo Tugger kit. I figured between this and the convertor it would be a sure thing. Not so much. This past weekend, I replaced the harness connector for the solenoid pack, and today I removed and cleaned the tach sensor, measures 2.4k ohms, not to mention the tach works fine.

This pretty much describes my own worst nightmare. I too am chasing a code 62 problem. I have a torque converter on order along with a TransGo Tugger Kit, figuring that the install of these will "solve" the problem. I hate to think that the code 62 still may not go away after all this work. If you suspect the computer is the problem, you can wire up an led in the cab to tell you if the computer is sending the signal to the TCC solenoid telling to to lock the torque converter. That is next on my "to-do" list.
Look at the last paragraph on Page 19. FORDF250HDXLT originally linked this up for me in my thread I have going about my code 62 problem
http://www.transgo.org/Research/TechData/ford-t/TPgs/8th-E4.pdf

Last edited:

mccall52

Full Access Member
Reaction score
@ILoveJunk - No worries, I really appreciate your help. Sounds like someone had the same idea I had. I'm starting to think a bit less about software levels, and more about things inside the transmission.

@tbrumm - I'd add a reman front pump to your list, and apply the tugger Magic to that. I really wish I had in retrospect. At the very least, check out whatever the drain back valve is. It's on the rear of the stator, that's about all I know. I did the led test, it seems like it's trying to lock up even when OD is flashing. Sometimes I can tell its locking, but most of the time, it does whatever it's doing and flashing OD.

mccall52

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm restarting this thread. If anyone has one of these modules, please feel free to reply or PM:

7.3 Diesel F series Econoline all 50 states use #F4TZ-12B565-AA
7.3 Diesel Super Duty all 50 states use #F4TZ-12B565-BA

I'd prefer one of the above, but I suppose one of these would do in a pinch:

7.3 Diesel F series Econoline High altitude use #F4TZ-12B565-CA
7.3 Diesel Super Duty High altitude use #F4TZ-12B565-DA

I installed a new solenoid pack with no luck. I'd rather plug in an updated module before I come completely apart for a front pump replacement. I appreciate your help.

mccall52

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That's the one. I actually found another one recently. It just arrived in the mail the other day, however, it didn't solve my problem. I think it's time for a front pump of the F5 variety. I'll move the Tugger magic from my E9 to the F5, and install one of the Superior Solutions bushing and drain-back valve kits.

I appreciate your help.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cv axle

Members online