Anyone got a good tech write up on changing ball joints?

Camarogenius

Reaction score
Actually, I was thinking about new wheel bearings while I had it torn apart.
BTW: 69 Oiler, Thanks for all the copy and paste!!!

i would reccomend using the tool i have done it the hammer way and dont reccomend it if you can easily line up a tool. i accidently wacked the inner fender on my old bronco with a hammer, it didnt do any damage but made me more aware of some bad potential. its not really a complicated job it can just take some muscle to do.

if your truck isent 4 wheel you might be able to pull the joints without removing the spindle (which can be a royal pain by itself) if you have room behind the knuckle to do so. if it was 4 wheel there would be no way, the axle shaft would be in the way.

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It was a bear to get off the spindle... I think Mel meant to say start hitting everything with a hammer a few days in advance LOL

:rotflmao

I've since obtained one of those spindle removal tools, but have yet to try it out. I will soon when I get around to doing the 8 lug conversion on the Bronco. From what Rob has said, it will be exciting to see it come off that easy.

85IDI

Reaction score
What is the name of the tool that helps you get the spindle off?

subway

be nice to the admin :D
Reaction score
i didnt even know they existed, i think one will be landing in my tool box very soon. i hate wreastling with those @$#& spindles.

85IDI

Reaction score
Ended up not needing the tool. Went home and hit it with the hammer three more times and it just fell out. I had soaked in it penetrating oil from wednesday to friday. I'm sure that helped.