Anyone got a good running 7.3 they want to get rid of cheep?

Camarogenius

Reaction score
The guy that bought my red dually blew the head gasket in the 6.9. (I thought it was a 7.3)
He wants a 7.3 to go in there.
He's paying for it, Not me.

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ah man! I was afraid of that... I hope he understands that you had no malice aforethought...these things just happen on the 6.9. He should just get new gaskets and bolt that crap back together and be good for another 100-200K miles at least...unless he overheated it and melted it to a pile of goo.

Camarogenius

Reaction score
Ah man! I was afraid of that... I hope he understands that you had no malice aforethought...these things just happen on the 6.9. He should just get new gaskets and bolt that crap back together and be good for another 100-200K miles at least...unless he overheated it and melted it to a pile of goo.
Naw, he's cool. He knows that it blew on his way home. I offered to help him change the head gaskets, but he wants to go with a 7.3 because of the banks sidewinder.

Camarogenius

Reaction score
He was told that the Sidewinder would continue to blow 6.9 head gaskets, and that he needs to go to a 7.3. I'm doing what the customer asked me to do, and see if I can find a good running 7.3:dunno

6.9poweredscout

Bleeds IH red...
Reaction score
why spend $1500 for a motor and $1500 for a kit, when you can buy a set of head gastets...what $50? and a set of arp studs $250. cookoo :dunno i have about $6000 into the rebuild of my 6.9, it'll be ready to rock with a turbo kit later down the road. ;Sweet

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah we're all arguing with the wrong guy.... it could be true for all I know that the 6.9 in stoick trim won't put up with that boost continually but I bet it would :)

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah I will be in the same boat...but I am fairly confident that with the updated head gaskets and using good sense on boost and EGT, I should be fine. Has your truck ever had new gaskets? Have you read Mel's head gasket and turbo article about the various updates to the gaskets over the years?