Another good reason to stay out of Calif.

Old Goat

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Watched this YT Vid a few moments ago.
If you live in another state, and did any mod`s to your car, and is ok or no one really cares as far as the cops etc...

If you drive in Ca. with out of state plates, and registered in that state, you will need to comply to Ca. CARB requirements.

This is a guy with a mustang that is modified some. Cop just thought is sounded loud as he was ticketing some one the side of the road.
Interesting reading through the comments.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Goat

ISPKI

Welding/metallurgical engineer/Metalsmith
Reaction score
Only need to comply with their laws if you are a resident or if you are gainfully employed for more than 30 days. The BS issue here is hes a service member stationed in Ca which apparently they count as being gainfully employed, therefore his vehicle falls under CA requirements.

Austin86250

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I heard from an old guy so I’m not sure if it’s true or not but he said “they won’t let semis that are older than 2010 or something into the state”
“And that they will stop selling regular diesel and just biodiesel”

Nero

HD Diesel nut
Reaction score
I heard from an old guy so I’m not sure if it’s true or not but he said “they won’t let semis that are older than 2010 or something into the state”
“And that they will stop selling regular diesel and just biodiesel”
That is accurate. Oregon and Washington I believe are following suit with the diesel part, except its not bio, they're switching to R99

MadMac

Reaction score
I might not agree with CARB, its methods, the restrictions or whatever. That said - it is very difficult to argue with the results. I spent several years in the 80’s commuting to Ontario and Redlands - to the east of LA. In the summer afternoons the smog was so bad - you could not see 100 yards, somtimes it was 100 feet - as in you could not see across the street. We were all breathing that junk. In LA proper - today most days you can see the Hollywood sign from El Segundo, which could never happen in the 80’s, 90’s, or 00’s. In Ontario/Redlands they don’t have those “sightless“ days any more - which doesn’t imply they are great.

Biodiesel is becoming popular because its cheaper than #2. Some of the large corps - 76 in particular - use B20, which makes them pop on GasBuddy and other apps. Like using ethanol, personally I think that and B20 are about feeding a special interest more $$. Given the resistance to a 2x maint schedule needed for B20 (like mine) - I don’t see it making much of a run here… Yes, older Semi’s are being outlaw’d, tho I don’t have the particulars… Next I think they’re going to get rid of fossil fuels for electric - completely. Fortunately, my progeny will have to deal with the disposition of my diesel Fords - I’ll be gone by then, and the trucks will still be running...

Here’s the fun fact… that EGR on my 2016 Scorpion - costs some 3 to 5 MPG… so I average 13.5 MPG no matter if I’m towing 10K or an empty truck (+18mpg in the 97 with the 7.3 - same roads and towing). The only time it gets better is on the freeway going slow, which I don’t. So, how does that +25% additional fuel consumption & MPG loss square up against the particulate savings?

Not trying to create a huge discussion of what is better or worse, we’ve already done that in 50 other threads. Just a note that I can complain about the restrictions all I want - I’ve personally seen the difference with and without the restrictions. Disclosure - I live around the 40th parallel… we don’t have that problem.

DaveBen

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My family moved to Orange County the year Disneyland opened in 1957. The smog was so bad back then you could not see a block away. Today it is much better but at a co$t. Gasoline and diesel are "fake" (man made with added chemicals). We all pay for it. We have the highest gasoline and diesel prices in the 48 continuous states. All of this electrical vehicle "stuff" is still costing us a fortune. Electricity is mainly created using some boiler system. These broilers are powered by natural gas or some other petroleum products. One of the BIGGEST COSTS to Californians is POLITICS and how they keep spending OUR MONEY. We pay one of the highest tax rates in this nation. I am thinking of moving to Texas or some other state to save money. My son-in-law is moving to Texas as we speak. His rent is $6,000 a month for a two bedroom house in greater Los Angles area. He is saving something like 50% by moving. More political BS! Grrrrr...

WrenchWhore

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I go back and forth (SoCal Santa Clarita) for work/racing. It's insane how much the town I grew up in has changed and not in a good way. SO MANY CARS. SO MANY TESLAS. SO MUCH TRAFFIC. Once my job is done I practically race back to Lake Havasu to enjoy no traffic, lower fuel prices, and peace. Now that i'm home it's time for some coffee and plan out this motor swap.

KansasIDI

Hopelessly addicted to IDIs
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I might not agree with CARB, its methods, the restrictions or whatever. That said - it is very difficult to argue with the results. I spent several years in the 80’s commuting to Ontario and Redlands - to the east of LA. In the summer afternoons the smog was so bad - you could not see 100 yards, somtimes it was 100 feet - as in you could not see across the street. We were all breathing that junk. In LA proper - today most days you can see the Hollywood sign from El Segundo, which could never happen in the 80’s, 90’s, or 00’s. In Ontario/Redlands they don’t have those “sightless“ days any more - which doesn’t imply they are great.

Biodiesel is becoming popular because its cheaper than #2. Some of the large corps - 76 in particular - use B20, which makes them pop on GasBuddy and other apps. Like using ethanol, personally I think that and B20 are about feeding a special interest more $$. Given the resistance to a 2x maint schedule needed for B20 (like mine) - I don’t see it making much of a run here… Yes, older Semi’s are being outlaw’d, tho I don’t have the particulars… Next I think they’re going to get rid of fossil fuels for electric - completely. Fortunately, my progeny will have to deal with the disposition of my diesel Fords - I’ll be gone by then, and the trucks will still be running...

Here’s the fun fact… that EGR on my 2016 Scorpion - costs some 3 to 5 MPG… so I average 13.5 MPG no matter if I’m towing 10K or an empty truck (+18mpg in the 97 with the 7.3 - same roads and towing). The only time it gets better is on the freeway going slow, which I don’t. So, how does that +25% additional fuel consumption & MPG loss square up against the particulate savings?

Not trying to create a huge discussion of what is better or worse, we’ve already done that in 50 other threads. Just a note that I can complain about the restrictions all I want - I’ve personally seen the difference with and without the restrictions. Disclosure - I live around the 40th parallel… we don’t have that problem.
Good answer. I consider myself fortunate to not live on the west coast, doesn’t sound like it’s the place for me…

I think making some effort to keep emissions lower is a good thing, but the methods used are kinda baffling…

Also just because it’s needed in California, doesn’t make it an issue everywhere else… IMO. However that doesn’t mean that everyone else should ignore emissions, but I don’t see why they need to be quite as strict.

Oh and thanks for leaving politics out of it, I appreciate that.

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
“they won’t let semis that are older than 2010 or something into the state”
I've heard that too.
I am thinking of moving to Texas or some other state to save money.
If I had the extra money, time to move, and a way to make a living once I got there, I would in a heartbeat!
Good answer. I consider myself fortunate to not live on the west coast, doesn’t sound like it’s the place for me…
I 100% agree. I don't even want to see it. I used to want to go to Glamis (Imperial Sand Dunes), but I don't even want to cross that state line any more.

klook

Reaction score
I have a cousin that moved all his family out of Ca to Texas, it is booming in Texas. I also meet multitudes of people here in Tenn from Cali. I work as a mobile RV tech and they are coming in droves.

Greenie

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Back in the 1950's diesel trucks often belched black smoke to the point of sooting up the trailer the tractor was towing. Since then turbochargers, fuel management, tighter clearances, better transmissions have all but eliminated visible emissions. Same with cars... 2 speed autos, open crankcase vents, no catalytic converters, leaded gasoline ... The industry cleaned itself up tremendously. All those improvements and sacrifices are meaningless now though ... it's never going to be clean enough for extremists. Smog has been effectively reduced. The battle is over, the war is won... except it's not. Until common sense returns to every state citizens are gradually becoming subjects.

ISPKI

Welding/metallurgical engineer/Metalsmith
Reaction score
I still see diesel powered vehicles belching black smoke, not nearly as much as I used to but theres still plenty out there and I am fairly removed from major traffic areas. It certainly does seem as though automotive pollution has been massively reduced and we should probably work on other areas, maybe growing massive amount of plants to help naturally consume the CO2 that we cant clean up 100%.

Anyone ever read about Henry Ford's hemp prototype car? Lead me down a rabbit hole of researching hemp and how it impacts our environment. Makes me wonder if we could use it to protect our environment and alleviate the stranglehold on the automotive community.

Even EVs pollute, their tires shred like any other vehicle, they still require massive amounts of metal and plastic to produce. No matter the powerplant's cleanliness, those other pollutants arent going away any time soon.

Also - I dont believe this war will ever be "won". We need to do our best to preserve our environment or else our future generations will be inhabiting a wasteland. I just think there are other ways to do it that we should be focusing on.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lewisstevey7