Anyone familiar with a TELMA electric brake

rthomas

Reaction score
thinking about one of these for my sweeper, if anybody has messed with one before Id like to get your opinion, thanks -Russ

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
thinking about one of these for my sweeper, if anybody has messed with one before Id like to get your opinion, thanks -Russ
i've driven vehicles with them but never owned one. if you own a allison trans, they are a must since most allisons don't have compression decel only the late ones have compression decel on some models. I've been at 33k+ gross and was coming down a 7% grade and had the retarder on 3/4 full. my air brakes were as cool a a cucumber ;Sweet I can point you to their website if you like.

rthomas

Reaction score
Thanks towcat, yeah it has a at545, good trans but no real braking ability. It weighs 21-22k and has juice brakes that just get scorching hot in traffic. A garbage truck guy told me about telma brakes and says they go years and years on a brake job, he says they do more brakes because of wheel seals than wearing out.

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks towcat, yeah it has a at545, good trans but no real braking ability. It weighs 21-22k and has juice brakes that just get scorching hot in traffic. A garbage truck guy told me about telma brakes and says they go years and years on a brake job, he says they do more brakes because of wheel seals than wearing out.
you need one.
bring a 1pound jar of vaseline with you when you go into the installing dealer. it's going to hurt bad. upside is much less stress when you get back on the road. you'll wonder why these items aren't manditory options.

LowTech

Mech Wrangler
Reaction score
We have one on our Free Wheelin' Camper, it came that way. Have really liked it for stopping. It starts when the brake lights activate. Have often stopped w/o even getting to the friction brakes.
It helped loads crossing the mountains on our recent trip to transport the camper out west to it's rental base. Never had to worry that I was over heating the brakes. Not really used to auto trannys, give me a gear that I can drive down hill w/.
The down fall for us is that it rides low, would be the first thing to catch a rock , and weighs a ton. I will get a skid plate made for it.