Any one here done a cummins swap?

Turboed94

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Im starting to look into doin a cummins 12v swap into my truck and was wondering who all has done one and can give me some details about it like
Price?
What adapters
Little parts that one wouldn't think about?
Firewall cutting?
Hookin up ac parts
Alternator?
Power steering?
Wireing it up 2 the dash
Just stuff kilt that would be helpful

The Warden

MiB Impersonator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
There have been a few...Darrin Tosh is one; alienturtle's done it also, and I think there are a few others who have. Hopefully they'll chime in soon...certainly, I'll be keeping an eye on this thread :angel:

alienturtle

Human
Reaction score
Save lots of $$$$$ or be patient and wait for the deals. Check out the conversion section here. As well as destroked.com and fordcummins.com. research is the key to a successful swap

purg113

new to me f350
Reaction score
Not to hijack but how hard would it be to do a swap to a cat 3116? I have a chance to get 1 with a allison trans for $4500 later this summer just wondering what everyone here thinks.
also Good luck on your posible cummins swap.

chvycmnslvr68

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Hello Darrin ... I read through your thread about Droopy and the Four banger .. sounds like you had your share of problems ... I am looking for a 4BT ... I can get my hands on a good short block but have no external parts .. would like to chat about the one you pulled back out of Droopy and see if we could reach an agreement on it .. I would like the extra fuel pump as well so i might be able to put both of them together .. I have a couple project that I want to do ... My truck is a 91' Cehvy 1 ton Dually Crew cab ... the one in my propfile pic .. It has a 93 12 Valve cummins in it .. I get around 26 MPG Highway and about 18 City ...

chvycmnslvr68

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok thanks it'll probably be a while before I get started on her gotta save up some $$ lol

Hello there Turboed94 ... I have done a couple Cummins conversions .. and an Isuzu into a 4Runner as well ,,, all three went very well ... and turned out very nice like factory pretty miuch... What kind of truck are you planning on using ... the cummins fits quite nicely in the GM truck and in the 93 Ford I did ... but the ford has accessibility issues if you ever had to work on the rear of the engine it would be difficult to acces it ... everything is quite open to get to in the Gm truck ...

chvycmnslvr68

Full Access Member
Reaction score

chvycmnslvr68

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not to hijack but how hard would it be to do a swap to a cat 3116? I have a chance to get 1 with a allison trans for $4500 later this summer just wondering what everyone here thinks.
also Good luck on your posible cummins swap.

I am pretty sure that the 3116 would be a little heavy for even a 1-Ton P/U ... Unless maybe like a superduty ... or F-450... or the like ... cat builds em' heavier than they have to .. Size wise I think a guy could make it work .. you might get away with it in a two wheel drive 1-Ton if you replace the coil front springs with airbags ... then you could throw a 613 Fuller behind it and have a regular little pullin' truck ...

purg113

new to me f350
Reaction score
I know it is a little heavy but I have a 1 ton 2 wd DRW and the whole truck will be airbaged some time this summer but I will keep the stock coil springs my air bag unit will fit in side them.

jhnlennon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I know it is a little heavy but I have a 1 ton 2 wd DRW and the whole truck will be airbaged some time this summer but I will keep the stock coil springs my air bag unit will fit in side them.

Stick with the cummins if you must do a swap. Its been done and good running motors can be picked up for less than a couple grand. Doing a simple craigslist search I just found 3 under 2000$ within 500 miles of me. One of them for 1250$.....

Turboed94

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My truck is a 94 IDI but from what I've read it doesn't sound like all that bad of a swap as long as u have the parts

jhnlennon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My truck is a 94 IDI but from what I've read it doesn't sound like all that bad of a swap as long as u have the parts

All the work and engineering has been done for you already, all you gotta do is the research and have the coin. Nothing new to be done...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IDIBronco86

Members online