Any fix for die on decell?

Timthetoolman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Is there any hope for a an IP that the engine dies on de-acceleration?

I can pour a half bottle of power service in a tank of fuel and it goes away, the very next tank of fuel without power service and it dies again when you rev the engine or mash in the clutch, like when you come to a stop.

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
for *****-n-giggles, change your fuel filter too. I don't care how old your current filter is, just do it;Sweet

dyoung14

Is getting worn out
Reaction score
Had the same thing happen to my truck, when it happed i didnt know what was going on and i had to be home so i didnt have time to post on here and ask so i just drove the truck and usaully in my truck i can do 80mph easy, that day i had to put it on the floar to hold 70, when i got home and shut the truck off i went in the house for maybe an hour come back out to go to the store and it wouldnt hit a lick, turned out that the rear tank had algea in it which plugged the filter up and kept the IP from getting the proper amount of fuel it needed to cool it and it burnt me newly rebuilt IP up, what a way to enjoy 500 dollars-cuss

LCAM-01XA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Tim, did you try the usual course of action - warm engine up, shut her off, drop fuel filter, dump fuel, refill filter with Diesel Kleen or whatever else you like, reinstall filter, fire up engine, run for 30 seconds, shut her off again, wait overnight? This usually works good for removing nasty deposits inside the IP that make your idle-speed governor sticky.

yARIC008

Drives really slow
Reaction score
Diesel kleen or some sort of additive is what you need to lubricate the metering valve. Or at least that's what i've always heard. If you run biodiesel it never happens though as bio has more lubricity. As soon as you switch back to normal diesel fuel though it'll start happening again.

Back in the day a rebuild of my injector pump fixed it for a long while. Mine used to be as bad as yours, every tank had to have diesel additive in it but the rebuild fixed that like I said. I just use the diesel kleen more as a preventative now.

BigRigTech

Diesel junky
Reaction score
I had the same issue, liberal amounts of Howes and ATF in the fuel worked for me, took 3-4 days of driving for it to stop...Hasn't done it since.

hesutton

The Anti-Anderson
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The lube trick may work, but if the metering valve is too boogered up, it may never go away and it will alway stick without extra lube. Or, the extra lube trick may just stop working altogether. I hate to say it, but you may be looking at a rebuilt IP in the near future.

Heath

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If you read my fuel system servicing article in our tech library so that you know the proper way to remove and re-install the top cover, you can try using some Berkebile 2+2 Gum Cutter on the inner workings that you see inside. However, this stuff is NOT a lubricant, so flush it out with ATF before you put the cover back on to try it. If that doesn't work, it's new IP time.

dyoung14

Is getting worn out
Reaction score
Taking the top cover off the IP isnt that hard, i have done it so many times its like a cake walk now, and when you get the top bolted back on just chack and make sure you here good clicking when you put power too it

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Taking the top cover off the IP isnt that hard, i have done it so many times its like a cake walk now, and when you get the top bolted back on just chack and make sure you here good clicking when you put power too it
Better listen to him about getting a good audible click from the FSS before firing up that engine, and just in case have something smooth and clean and solid to clap over the intake in a hurry. Runaway happens if you booger up the internals or bend a linkage, or you might get lucky and it just won't work. Also this is not the place you want any contamination so be clean/careful. Good luck. I think it's called an under running governor. Does anyone know if you canreplace the metering valve by itself or do you have to dig so far into it you might as well rebuild the whole pump by that time? Is it in the governor cover assy or in the main body of the pump??

Timthetoolman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks guys, been out for a while, r u right, on my bio it runs fine, just changed the filter in November, but I will do a new filter and fill with d Kleen.

Just got a new truck last week also, 1986, four door, 120K XLT, everything works, new flat bed, I am so excited, yall won't believe how clean this thing is, have known this truck for six years. As soon as I get her cleaned up and polished I will do a thread on her, you guys are gonna be sooooo jealous. But then again I may turn around and sell her, after I drive it for a while. Pics this weekend, promise.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
placidoert