Answer- why dont my brake lights work!

DesertBen44

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So after one long day of troubleshooting, and a week of messing around after work, I finally got the brake lights.

Original post last week was this

http://www.oilburners.net/forums/sh...lights-flashers-work-!&highlight=brake+lights

Even though my trailer brake lights worked, I decided I was pissed off and changed my brake pedal switch. That fixed it. So for any of you that have this issue in the future, working trailer brake lights do NOT mean the brake pedal switch is necessarily fully functional!

Doesnt make a whole lot of traditional sense, but thats the answer regardless. Thanks everyone who helped! Especially devnharley for the pics!

Compu Doc

Full Access Member
Reaction score
To check the brake light switch I usually disconnect the swith from the plug and then take a paper clip and insert it in the plug hitting both wires. If the brake lights work then the switch is at fault. Total time is less than 5 minutes doing it that way.

Black dawg

Reaction score
for some reason I thought he meant that the trailer brakes worked, didnt read well enough.

f-two-fiddy

Reaction score
The ford brake light switch is a real simple design. Which makes me wonder why they fail so often. I've had to change them on every one of my fords.

They way I test them is to back up towards my garage in the dark. When I hit the brakes, I can see the brake lights reflect off the windshield of what ever truck is in the rear stall. If they come on without any flash, the switch seems fine. A failing switch will have a dead spot where the brake lights will come on for a flash, then out, then on with more brake pedal travel.