Another "Thanks Mel" post

gwh98926

Beer Geek
Reaction score
I just finished getting my latest project running. Paid $800 for the 85 with 2 fist sized holes in the block where #7 and 8 pistons used to be. Luckily I had a good core motor to rebuild, so after 4 months of part time work on it (rebuilt the motor myself including heads) she is up and running. I purchased a moose jr as I would not be able to run a IC at this time and some moose mister injectors. This is my 4th IDI truck and by far the best running and most power. BTW truck came with a GV overdrive, ATS turbo and exhaust brake already on it. Thanks Mel for taking the time to answer all my calls and all the tech advice, that is the way to build a loyal customer base. Now on to my next project, a '52 willys wagon powered by a 6.9.

You must be registered for see images attach

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Thanks for the great pics. Mel has always been a standup kind of guy. You have a really nice looking rig. Now that its running how did you rime it. Also do you know how the other engine grenaded.

gwh98926

Beer Geek
Reaction score
Im guessing you meant time it? I have a ferret, it is at 8 and runs great...thought I had it 1 tooth off so ive pulled the ip 3 times, came to find out I was advancing it :oops:
I think the PO either used ether or it sucked a valve, both rear pistons were in the bottom of the oil pan and crank actually looked good as far as wear

Clb

Another old truck
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Another guy chiming in!
Pump inj. Returns!

Edit!!!!
I just got these from mel!

By far the best shop I have dealt with! They rock!

Edit!
I think him and my machinist for drivelines)

Edit!
Brad ,,! yet they run a fast tight ship! Both mel and brad!
Answers a question straight up like mel and company!
Btw thanx su !

Sorry some misread the original post!
Back to your regular programming!

Last edited:

FarmerFrank

Full Access Member
Reaction score
NICE TRUCK!! Wow. That is a sharp ol girl right there. 84,Turbo, GV, moose pump. Solid combo. What's the interior look like?

gwh98926

Beer Geek
Reaction score
Dont shoot me, It came without seats but the rest of the interior is perfect, I installed Z-71 electric seats, has red interior but grey seats. I just got the truck running and havent figured the exhaust brake out yet, not sure if it is triggered by the brakes? truck has a pressure switch on the throttle pedal, lights come on on the control box. maybe someone can chime in on how it works

mohavewolfpup

Diesel Wolf Puppy
Reaction score
Dont shoot me, It came without seats but the rest of the interior is perfect, I installed Z-71 electric seats, has red interior but grey seats. I just got the truck running and havent figured the exhaust brake out yet, not sure if it is triggered by the brakes? truck has a pressure switch on the throttle pedal, lights come on on the control box. maybe someone can chime in on how it works

See a brand/model # anywhere on the control box or exhaust brake?

92F350CC

Ford Man
Reaction score
Another guy chiming in!
Pump inj. Returns!
By far the best shop I have dealt with( him and my machinist for drivelines) most of the time he is a 24hr turnaround!
Brad ,,,,, NOT Mel ! Dont jump the gun guys he has no way to do this ,yet they run a fast tight ship!
Answers a question straight up like mel and company!
Btw thanx su !

Did you just pop into advertise another company? Kind of tacky IMO.

Sycostang67

Scooty Puff Junior
Reaction score
This may be of use.

http://www.usgear.cc/dc_install.htm

D-CELERATOR® Diesel Exhaust Brake

"SUPER-DUTY MODEL" OPERATING INSTRUCTIONS

NOTICE:
This device is not designed for use while the cruise control system of your vehicle is turned on.
The controls that operate your new D-Celerator® consist of two driver-interactive components. First is the pushbutton "on/off" switch. Second is the D-Feat device. The D-Feat device is connected to the use of your throttle so that when you depress the accelerator, your D-Celerator® is automatically disengaged. When you release the accelerator, the D-Celerator® begins to function again. The D-Feat device consists of a D-Feat wire or a Microswitch.

To engage the D-Celerator® just press the pushbutton on/off switch. With your foot off the throttle, the red light located behind the U.S. Gear logo will illuminate solid. This means that the D-Celerator® is braking. To turn off the D-Celerator® , press the on/off switch again and the red light will go out.

Once the D-Celerator® is on, you will also be able to control the operation of the exhaust brake by using your D-Feat device. To temporarily disengage the D-Celerator® , apply pressure to the accelerator. While the D-Feat device is operational, the red light on the pushbutton on/off switch will flash continuously. To reactivate the D-Celerator® , release the accelerator.

To achieve maximum braking horsepower once the D-Celerator® is engaged, shift to a lower gear and keep your RPMs up. If you need less braking assistance, shift to a higher gear or turn the unit off. Use the pushbutton switch to turn the D-Celerator® off if you are not accelerating your vehicle.

WARNING:
The D-Celerator® is designed only to assist your vehicle brakes. At no time is the D-Celerator to be used instead of, or to replace, your factory equipped vehicle wheel brakes.
The Cycle Feature is an exclusive self-maintenance characteristic of the D-Celerator® which you will notice when you turn your ignition to the on position. The red light on the pushbutton will flash for fifteen seconds after you turn the ignition on. Then the D-Celerator® will cycle on and off twice. You may bypass the Cycle Feature by pressing the accelerator during the fifteen seconds that the light on the pushbutton is flashing. CAUTION: Do not use the bypass feature on a consistent basis. Regularly canceling the cycle feature combined with a lack of use of the exhaust brake could cause damage to your D-Celerator® .

NOTE: Due to soot build-up, it may become necessary to re-lubricate the large butterfly pivot shaft bushings in the D-Celerator Diesel Exhaust Brake. We recommend that this service be performed on a regular basis according to use (normally every couple of years).

Clb

Another old truck
Supporting Member
Reaction score
For those of you that misread my post!
Mel aka conestoga' rocks the mention of brad was me stating in this world we rarely find real customer service!
I may be tacky/ rude/crude, and socially unexceptable but'''
I just got some news I could do without so take this fwiw!
Anyone see the part of my buying a g note's worth of product from mel?
Thats chicken feed for many' me not so much!
When I lay down $100 dollar bills its nice to do so with an honest company that can answer the phone and spend time talking about the product then Deliver!
Mel/suzy have the best of both! I have had GREAT dealings with them!
So if you need a driveline done in cal hope you find someone!
I wont pimp brad!
So no I aint tacky for mentioning another guys shop( NOT BY NAME) that does killer service!
But hey thanks for the quotes!
Ride hard cb
( and yes I ride)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nanohawk

Members online