Another PSD temptation.

BigRigTech

Diesel junky
Reaction score
I have another 97 PSD engine being dropped off tommorow. 300,000km's, removed from a 97 F350 cab/chassis. My buddy already dropped off the engine bay wiring harness and ecm/idm the other night....Trading me for an old 351W 4bbl engine I have :dunno cookoo ....Twist my arm on that trade...:D :rotflmao ......Now to resist the temptation to "tweek" it and drop it in my 91....It's supposed to have an aftermarket exhaust brake and etc on it according to my buddy. He got the truck for $300 so he doesn't care about trading away the diesel as he wants a cheapo gas setup.:dunno I have everything I would need to do the swap including a PSD radiator. Would it bolt up to my ZF-s42 88 or 92 transmssions and SMF???....I'v been contimplating doing the mod's, re-gasketing the engine and etc before a swap would take place. I traded the last PSD engine I had for my M12000 Warn winch. I could probably get my old PSD back too as it's sitting in another friends shed.

Last edited:

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yup it would bolt up, I hear the wiring is the headache but doable if you have a complete parts vehicle and you're the guy with the knowledge to do it. I don't know if the motor mounts are the same or not but that's easy enough to take care of.

BigRigTech

Diesel junky
Reaction score
He gave me the complete harness right down to the headlight plugs.....Wiring would be the easy part - piece of cake compared to some of the mess's I see at work every week...LOL....I have a 96 F350 parts rig for some wiring if needed and I can get everything from the 97 truck as he won't need it.

Last edited:

BigRigTech

Diesel junky
Reaction score
I have the fuel pedal and etc too. Having looked at the parts pile the swap doesn't look hard at all. We haven't heard this engine run yet so I might need to build a test stand to run the engine....It would be fun to tweek it this way too. Might be a pipe dream too with twins coming in the next month and enough goodies to build a 450+HP 302 for my 63 Mercury sitting on the garage floor....Time, I need more time!...LOL

FordGuy100

Reaction score
I dont know what to tell ya man. Maybe put it on the side so if the worst happens, and you need to replace the motor, you can upgrade at the same time ;Sweet

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Everybody says its hard but most people don't have your knowledge or tool collection along with the 2 donor trucks.

BigRigTech

Diesel junky
Reaction score
Here it is in all it's rusty glory...LOL....97 7.3L PSD from an F350 cab and chassis. He still has to bring me the complete exhaust with the stock down pipe. There is no starter and the alternator is siezed but everything else is there. I was talking with the wifey today will I spent 6 hours cleaning up the mess in my garage (a F'n disaster zone:rolleyes: ), she asked "what I wanted that old thing for?"....I told her it's for a future project and she just about fell off the chair...LOL....Her reply - "A 3yr old daughter, twins next month, a 63 Mercury ready for major work, a mini-van that needs paint and you think you have time for another project?".....I told her "I didn't want to sleep anyways".....:eek: :rotflmao :rotflmao ....I'm thinking of building a 2wd diesel toy for summer use....A nice, clean reg cab dually with an 8ft box, 5" mitre cut stacks and a 300-400HP stroker under the hood. 92-96 bodystyle, some chrome but a real clean - simple look....Let the black smoke do the talking eh?;Sweet :love: ...

I have a line on - I kid you not - about 50 F250/F350's in various states of being junked at a local construction company - could be a cab/chassis for the PSD to find a new home in. I'm waiting to here back on the chance to view them and maybe buy something.:D

You must be registered for see images attach

You must be registered for see images attach

92F350CC

Ford Man
Reaction score
Is that it for the wiring? Hells bells, you can do that with no problems. What the hell is everybody smoking?

6 Nebraska IDIs

Reaction score
Dont do it man. I think I pour money into my trucks as it is, if they were PS's I'd have put myself in the ground by now.

92F350CC

Ford Man
Reaction score
If you don't put it in the 91, at least put that thing in SOMETHING. You can't let a good diesel motor go to waste. Hell, put it in the windstar! :rotflmao

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
....I told her it's for a future project and she just about fell off the chair...LOL....Her reply - "A 3yr old daughter, twins next month, a 63 Mercury ready for major work, a mini-van that needs paint and you think you have time for another project?".....I told her "I didn't want to sleep anyways".

Messin' with a pregnant lady... Man you must be some kind of thrill seeker :eek:
Better watch your step or you're going to wind up sleeping in that truck :fan: :rotflmao :rotflmao :rotflmao

BigRigTech

Diesel junky
Reaction score
Yup, she turned "right some red in the face".....:D .....I just couldn't pull the IDI unless it blew up, it works too damn good. I'd love to tweek the PSD for a toy incase it blew up...LOL....I'dstill have the old Ford to drive that way.