Another 3g alternator thread

ford 6.9

Reaction score
Yea Yea Yea I know another 3g thread but here is my ? I took the old harness all apart.
I have the green red that i know goes to the green red on pig tail of the new alt.
I cut the yellow wire in the old harness cause I know it needs to be put on the + side of of something battery etc.
I also have a tiny black wire that I am assuming is the amp meter on the gauge wire, wish hasnt worked for since ive had the truck. Is that what the wire is???
I also have a black one that comes out of the old harness and then goes to what i am assuming is a factory in line fuse and then it switches to green and goes to the positive side of the starter solenoid.???? do i need this wire or is this where i hook the yellow one up from that old harness??

thx
chris

franklin2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The yellow wire leads into the harness toward the firewall? If so, that's the power wire for the truck's elec system, and it needs to go to the battery +, most likely on the big lug on the solenoid.

Those small wires, if they are on either side of the "lump" in the harness, are the ammeter gauge wires, and the "lump" is not a fuse, it's a shunt or calibrated resistance that creates a voltage drop that the ammeter reads to work. Just leave all that disconnected, it would not be able to handle the output of the new alternator anyway.

You should only need two wires, the red/green trigger wire and the large new output wire to the battery +.

ford 6.9

Reaction score
Ok i found a red wire with a orange stripe on it???? going to a gray plug with 6 or 8 other wires in the connector??? Only reason im asking is it is going to the connector with lots of other wires.

thx