Annual Oil Change?

PwrSmoke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I routinely run 3-4 year OCIs on my equipment. It was not done willy-nilly, either. I would run a year, then have the oil tested. Then run two, three, etc. I'm on the fourth year for the fill in my '86. At this point, I use only miles or hours on all the equipment I maintain (a car, two trucks, two farm tractors, riding mower, lawn tractor, a generator and several other devices powered by small engines), up to a specific limit of five years. That five year limit is somewhat arbitrary, mostly because that's the farthest limit I have tested personally. You can find examples of much longer intervals , some from sources I am inclined to trust, but because it's my stuff, I prefer to generate my own data.

Bottom line... oil cannot read a calendar. Environmental and operational conditions can and will dictate the time part of the OCI. Repeated short hops (1-5 miles) where the oil does not get warmed up, extended cold weather operation, will deplete the additive package quickly. Poor storage conditions, i.e. condensation, will have an effect as well. But if the truck is driven to the point of heating the oil up and keeping it hot for a minimum of 15 minutes regularly (not necessarily frequently), that's more than enough to keep the oil healthy over the long haul. A guy in Texas posted a UOA (Used Oil Analysis) on a well known oil geek site for a tractor that had sat in a barn for 30 years. The oil was still suitable for use by an objective standard. There are many other such examples documented my science and technology if you search and look beyond unsubstantiated anecdotes or folklore.

Some will ask, "Why do the car manufacturers say X months or years then?" A fair question with several answers:

1) CYA- They need a lot of safety factor in their recommendations to account for a very broad average of climate, storage conditions, operational conditions, maintenance (or lack thereof), quality of oil used, etc. They figure a worst case scenario combination of the things I listed above, and more besides, and recommend appropriately. When you get very specific. you can fine tune alot. Most often, that results in a longer interval but sometimes shorter.

2) Sell, sell, sell! It doesn't hurt your truck to change the oil more often than it truly needs but it enhances the finances of the people who sell maintenance products or services. In the commercial world, that's what they call a SCORE.

3) The one benefit of arbitrary oil change intervals is that it gets the car in for other checks and service. The "unwashed masses" (those who are not gearheads and do not maintain or repair their own equipment) tend to regard a long OCI as a license to neglect their cars. The car doesn't get in for the other stuff, tire pressure checks, tire rotation, a look at the fan belts, a look at the air filter, a look for signs of upcoming trouble, etc. The time interval has some value when looked at in that light... for the great unwashed masses. Not for us, who presumably look at stuff often. Some of us are oil nerds and take this to ridiculous extremes. Heck, I'm so oil-nerdy-sick that I calculate the operating viscosity of the oil as I go down the road by watching the oil temp and oil pressure gauges (yes, you can do that!). You don't have to be a total oil geek, though, to know the cause and effect of different operating conditions on the oil and adjust the OCI to suit.

There are two primary reasons to change oil:

1) Contamination, including what's built into the oil (no, oil is not spotlessly clean when new), wear or break in metal (wear metals inputs are low in a broken-in engine but break-in wear metals can be extensive), soot and combustion byproducts, dirty air from poor air filtration (which gets past the rigs to contaminate the oil, plus it gets in thru crankcase breathers... especially road draft tubes). Much contamination can be filtered, read on.

2) Additive package depletion. The additive package depletes itself most rapidly when combating high contamination levels and acidic conditions that come from the combustion process and contamination. If you minimize the contamination inputs, the oil additive package can last a very long time.

Ways to Extend Oil Life, By Order of Importance (IMO but a pretty generally accurate standard in the industry)

1) Improve air filtration. The intake is the biggest source of outside contamination into the engine. Think of it. Your engine is sucking in an average of 200 cubic feet of air per minute. That air is laced with particles, most of which are harmful to the engine in some way. An "average" air filter can remove about 90-95 percent of them (when judged on a test standard using fine dust, which is more real world than the coarse standard that is common in advertising). So five percent of that material is getting into the engine and think of how much that could be over hours and hours of run time. So, you run a very efficient air filter, even if it costs you a little power due to flow (we could have a LONG discussion here), you eliminate all the other ways dirt can get into the crankcase (breather hoses, oil cap, CDR, leaking valley pan, road draft tube if so equipped, etc.), and you have eliminated the majority of the contamination inputs for the engine. The additive package then has an easy job and depletes slowly. Bear in mind that really dirty air from little or no filtration can have rapid if not immediate effects on engine life as well as long term. IT'S IMPORTANT!

2) Improve oil filtration. A broken in engine with no problems, generally clean oil generates comparatively little wear metal. Soot agglomeration is always a problem for diesels. It starts out very fine and oil filters can't catch much of it until it agglomerates (wads up into sludge). Agglomeration occurs when the dispersants in the oil are depleted. Until that happens, the soot particles stay small and generally are too small to be harmful individually (though they make the oil black). Soot is often submicronic (smaller than one micron) but can be in the 1-5 micron range. Stuff below 10 microns is generally considered "not harmful" as long as there is not a high concentration of it. A normal oil filter can catch most of the normally generated wear contamination (less wear from cleaner oil) but because a specific amount of oil flow is needed for lubrication, it's difficult to find room for a highly efficient oil filter that will have the flow and capacity needed to filter below about 20 microns absolute (absolute= about 98 percent of the contaminants above the micron rating when measured in a specific multi-pass test). When you increase efficiency, you need to increase the amount of media to maintain flow and capacity. Synthetic media filters are best for combining flow, capacity and pore size (the ability to trap smaller particles). Bypass filtration (which filters a small amount of oil flow very finely in a second filter) can help oil life by removing soot and even smaller wear or contamination particles without effecting flow. Some bypass filtration can also trap moisture and the precursors to sludge. Serious improvements to oil filtration can be EXPENSIVE, so you have to balance and amortize that cost by extending the OCI of the oil. Yes, improved filtration does improve engine life but it's not by a huge factor (despite the ad hype you see... you have to look close at the test data because it often measures wear of highly filtered oil against a crankcase full of highly contaminated oil, not the type of oil that you would normally let remain in your engine).

3) Improve the oil. A stronger additive package lasts longer in any operating condition. The base oil (i.e. synthetic vs conventional) is less important from this standpoint because it has little effect on how long the additives can do their jobs. A slippery syn base oil can reduce wear, and that helps, but the difference in wear between a syn and good conventional is not huge.

If you have to pick one thing to improve, my advice is to pick the air filter (and related crankcase breathers). Again, that is the source of 90 percent of engine contamination. Make sure the filter housing seals well to the intake. Make sure the filter seals in the housing well (use filter grease for sealing). Duct the intake hose to the cleanest source of air (generally the stock location). Make sure your CDR drain seals well in the valley pan or valve cover and the o-ring into the intake is good. Make sure there is a good seal on your oil cap. If you have a turbo, make sure your many intake clamps are tight (sues some sealer on the hoses). If you have a road draft tube, go back to a CDR or some other sealed breather. There are better and worse air filters out there but that's a LONG discussion. In general, if you by the premium level filter (most brands have the cheap price point "bronze" filter then "silver" or "gold" you get the idea), it will have better, more efficient media. I have seen testing that indicates this. Avoid oiled cotton gauze, foam (unless backed up by other better media) or oil bath filter media because they can be very inefficient.

You can improve oil filtration effectively and economically by using the Powerstroke oil filter, which is more efficient (19 micron nominal vs 28 nominal generally). The Powerstroke spec'ed a more efficient filter because of HUEI and that increase translates to all the brands that make filters for the application. On top of that, the PSD filter has about twice the media, so you can run it lots longer. There are high dollar synthetic oil filter out there that cost about twice as much as a regular filter. They are very efficient, long lasting and good but the numbers don't always crunch unless you run an extended OCI.

Finally, I've given you a lot of generalities above but if you want to go really long on the OCI, the only way to judge how long YOUR oil can go in YOUR individual conditions is via oil analysis. If you want to play this game bigtime, you gotta learn the rules. To be honest, until you do your testing, it will be MORE expensive to chart your way than just to dump the oil arbitrarily and be done with it. IMO you can safely extend to two or three years 6-8,000 miles pretty easily with minimal testing but there are still a LOT of variables. I suggest a first step is to get an oil sample (google Blackstone Labs) according to solid sampling guidelines when you do your next OCI. Don't look at it as a guide to engine condition (you can't get that from one sample), just oil health. Pay extra for the TBN test. That test tells you how much of the additive package is left. If your test is like most and you are doing short (4,000 miles or less) OCIs, you will probably find you were dumping oil with a LOT of life left.

Since winter is here, another tip. Plugging the truck in is conducive to longer oil life (and better mpg) because it gets the oil warmed up faster. Our engines have an advantage in that the oil cooler is also an oil warmer so warmer water in the cooling system get the oil warmer sooner. Vs some other engines I have seen or owned, the oil temp on my IDI reaches a warmed up state much faster. And that's a GOOD THING!

sassyrel

Reaction score
Go by miles not time. Oil doesn't know how old it is. You hear these commercials that say you should change your oil every 3 months or 6 months or what ever. That and the 3000 miles oil change thing is a total load of crap. The oil change places just want to sell you more oil.

So long as your running it up to operating temperature every time you have it out there is no reason to dump the oil early.

DANG straight!!! vw says in a 96 passat dsl..to change every 5000!!! right.......................id go 10,000,,pull the filter,,pour the oil out of the filter into the new filter,,top it,,and screw to to the block...start engine, let run a bit,shut off,,and check oil,,and top off............then at 20,000,,id drop oil and filter!!!! and the engine never used one drop!!! 5W30 FULL syn oil!! and not cheap crap......

sassyrel

Reaction score
There is a reason why the engineers put a fan and 190*
Stat in the rigs.
That said I would watch the needle when towing with no cooling fan and a guaranteed over temp stat!
The max temp os 140* -130* so you have 10* of hill left!
As to the higher temp stat boiling off quicker' my personal thought is no it still needs time to boil off the h20 its 220 that starts the steam but ya still need time to off gas the water!
Fwiw
Cb
;Really

chris142

Full Access Member
Reaction score
x2 on the airfilter being most important. get rid of the k&n garbage! paper is still the best as filtering ability is concerned

Clb

Another old truck
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sassyrel
Please educate me!
What'd I miss?
The max temp, or no need for a fan in hot weather/ extreme duty?
I get that the 2 stroke likes heat, so yea ok maybe that could be it??!

dunk

Dunce
Reaction score
Interesting thoughts PwrSmoke... 25.4 micron = .001" ... So my thought is with bearings clearances as they are anything around .001" is getting to where it's gonna cause bearing damage as clearances on a tight engine are not much greater. Any smaller particulate may or may not harm a bearing or bearing surface obviously the smaller it is the less likely. Parts like rocker pivots will wear more easily as they are under immense pressure and have essentially an oil bath rather than pressure fed lubrication. Cam lobes only get splash lubrication and not sure what drainback may hit lobes on these engines. Also curious as to whether the roller lifter bearings from the factory are bushing or needle and whether this are pressure fed from the lifter body.

What is the micron rating on a FL1995 filter that I believe most of us use? Are there other better filters that catch smaller particulates?

To the OPs question, I change my oil at 5000-6000 miles and put maybe 7k-12k miles a year on it so generally it gets changed once or twice a year. I also use either Rotella T6 or Mobil1, both synthetics and choice depends on whichever is cheaper. Mostly local trips but it does get a longer highway trip at least once a week where it's definitely fully to temp. I would have no problem running 1 year or longer intervals if it's within 5k miles AND the truck is regularly does some longer highway miles and is worked with a load. Idea being, everything up to temp for a decent period of time to cook off water and other impurities. Humidity and condensation add up in oil and would be my main concern in your case. If in doubt you could do as some with oil analysis to determine when your engine with your use and the oil you use actually needs to be changed then stick with that interval. If in doubt I always change it more often, your oil change cost is offset a bit anyways if you burn it as I do.

PwrSmoke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Dunk if you want to get clearer, look up boundary lubrication vs hydrodynamic lubrication. Most of the time, the bearing is suspended above the crank journal by a layer of oil.

Motorcraft is very tight lipped about the specs for their filters (which are manufactured by Purolator and sometimes others). A few other brands are more free with specs and since most aftermarket manufacturers match the OE specs (and the MC is an OE spec'ed fitler) you can judge a little from that. As I mentioned in the earlier post, the specs for the Wix equivalent of that filter is 19 microns nominal (nominal is the micron size that the filter can catch more than 50% of on the first past), which is about 35 microns absolute (a rough guess from experience... I don't have the actual spec from Wix). I have the specs for a Fram Ultra (which is one of the best synthetic filters on the market) and it's 99% @ 20 microns (which is pretty much absolute, meaning everything 20 microns of bigger is trapped).

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
I'm pretty happy with the Mobil 1 filter on my psd. Which are way harder on oil than a idi.
On the psd, 180 shouldn't have been the factory Stat.

Sent from my SM-T537R4 using Tapatalk

sassyrel

Reaction score
I get that the 2 stroke likes heat, so yea ok maybe that could be it??![/QUOTE]

all dsls,,burn better when hotter...hard to keep water cooled right at the break point..proof positive,,is the duetz dsls.....air cooled..last forever,,and in the same on apps,,use half the fuel of other brands

Clb

Another old truck
Supporting Member
Reaction score
^^^ Kinda like an old detroit will teach ya to match gears or fail!

Yes I see that point' however the part I need help with is the pulling the over temp cooling fan off and then upping the opening temp!
How is this a good thing?

PwrSmoke

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Now THAT was a good find! It used to be like pulling teeth to get specific info on MC filters. I guess they finally bowed to pressure. That is excellent performance, especially considering the price. That's typical of MC, though, good value. I still prefer synthetic media filters over cellulose or cellulose/syn blend but I would have no qualms at all running an FL1995. When I look at the date on that document, 2011, I am rather gobsmacked that I hadn't seen it before. Good job finding and posting it. I'm glad to know that!

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
Yes I see that point' however the part I need help with is the pulling the over temp cooling fan off and then upping the opening temp!
How is this a good thing?
Many people have been doing it with the powerstroke, which is why I wasn't afraid to try it.
As I said, if I was towing, I would probably have some trouble. I'm planning on going electric fans. So I have plenty of time to do it before it gets hot enough out to worry about it.
It's been proven time and time again, more temperature you can keep in the engine, the more efficient it will be. Obviously you still don't want to overheat it. But I deffenitly don't baby my truck, and it still doesn't come close to overheating.

Sent from my SM-T537R4 using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dieselmainiac

Members online