and then she ran away.....

chris142

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The gate valve intended for a RV sewer tank might make a good emergency air shut off, easy enough to slap it shut, looks like it would be easy to plumb in the air cleaner and be a low cost solution

thats a good idea! the 2 stroke detroits had something similiar

CDX825

filtration nut
Reaction score
Maybe its just me but it seems wasteful and wrong to ruin a good running engine for entertainment purposes. Especially a 6.9 as they are the only one that can be bored out and rebuilt safely.

tbirdfiend281

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Lets be realistic, he wants to ruin a good motor because hes an idiot. You know what, its cool with me, know why? Merica.

Anyways, I had a 6.4 in an ups truck run away on fuel. That was fun. Went for probably 10 minutes. I was so shocked it happened. I was hooking up my laptop in the bread truck, and the throttle blipped without me touching it, and I stared at it for a second, then the motor went full bore. I kinda jogged away from it and stared at it for a few seconds from 50 feet away confused as to what had just happened. The other mechanic who saw me said it was pretty funny the look I had on my face, a mix of fear, confusion, and annoyance. The truck had just had a reman high pump put on, I assume that failed internally and full bored the fuel. I didn't try to stop it, as that truck, was under warranty. The reason it still had a warranty on the motor was that was motor number 2 in the chassis. Go maxxforce 7s.

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hmm...this makes me think about a plumbed in CO2 extinguisher direct into the intake JIC....

However I'm more inclined to figure out a GATE valve first...like pullin trucks have that I've seen.

Here for Irrigation I've seen some rather large ones so a 4" gate would suffice! Hmmm...

food for thought folks....food for thought!

Though deliberately running an engine to blow is a waste...I gotta admit, would be funny to watch...tragic but funny LOL

madpogue

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Guillotine gate FTW. I couldn't justify $150 for a fire extinguisher for each truck. Plus, you can use the guillotine gate as a theft deterrent; thief wouldn't get far, if it starts at all with the gate closed.

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
Shouldn't start at all.
But would be sweet to have it set to engine like 2 seconds after being started. So if someone did try stealing it, it would wake you up, then they'd be dead in the water.
I've been wanting to do one, no other reason than who knows when a turbo seal could blow.

Sent from my SM-G900R4 using Tapatalk

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
As a side thought, would the blown turbo seal be pretty much a non-issue with an intercooler? That would be a lot of tubing and intercooler to fill with oil before it would start feeding the intake wouldn't it?

I'm with you Al. I really like the CO2 plumbed in to the intake. It shouldn't be that hard to pick up a 5lb CO2 bottle cheap and a valve of some sort. Either a ball valve and a manual choke cable or something similar.

89Laredo

Underemployed
Reaction score
I watched a video somewhere on YouTube, guy was a diesel tech teacher. It only took a quick shot of co2 to kill a full throttle 466. I think a paintball tank would be OK.

I was prepared for my first start after engine swap tonight.
You must be registered for see images

tbirdfiend281

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Before I left my navistar dealer we had a big bore (maxxforce 13) that had a runaway from oil. Bent the number 5 rod quite badly. Thats on a big motor, but the same still applies for little motors. Though if you do have an oil runaway, 15-20 quarts of oil may run out before total motor devastation occurs, where as a 40+ quart class 8 motor should go a bit longer. I am going to crap myself if I ever am around a full size run away. That 6.4 that ran away from me was kind of shocking. A little scary, but not so bad from 50 feet away. It being in a bread truck creep-ed me out a little, only because if something did come out of the block, I wasn't confident the thin metal body would catch it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IDIBronco86

Members online

No members online now.