and then she ran away.....

oregon96psd

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ya, itll take that pesky govenor out of the equation though, but if the db2 wont flow enough to scatter it then yes, we will have to get creative with a weed sprayer full of 15w-40. lol

junk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So a run away is caused by burning it's own crankcase oil. So what causes it to be able to burn that much oil and run away?

Greg5OH

Full Access Member
Reaction score
his is turbo so i suspect the turbo seals were wonr out and it jus tstarted sucking it through there.

89Laredo

Underemployed
Reaction score
Lots of things. Typically a bad turbo seal.
If it took 3 mins to die I would have tried to find a way to kill it. A shirt or something thrown over the intake may have slowed it down enough to buy more time. Every diesel owner should have something in the truck to block the intake or some co2

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Wow. That is an eye opener. I hadn't even really thought about stopping a run away. That would be a bonus to a electric lift pump but if its running on it's own oil, you have to kill the air. I like the CO2 idea. I think that just went into the plan. Even if its plumbed in with just a manual valve under the hood. Maybe even a cable to pull the pin out of the valve from under the dash in the cab.

BigChris6.9idi

Ford Fan
Reaction score
Agreed. I'll be pulling the engine and replacing with a 7.3 I think. If turbo will mount the same. And building a "runaway kit" on my next one. That will choke it out if needed. I'll be honest it was scary.. there wasn't anything that would have got me close enough to try to stop it by hand!!

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
You need a pair that clanks when you walk to get close to a run away. Utube has some scary videos showing this and the noise is horrifying. The rpm goes way past redline. You think a pissed off pete 2 stroke sounds like its going to blow just wait to hear a diesel run away. Only cutting off the air shuts them down. Most if not all oil field trucks have a manual guillotine shutoff valve on the intakes.

oztinker47

Reaction score
The gate valve intended for a RV sewer tank might make a good emergency air shut off, easy enough to slap it shut, looks like it would be easy to plumb in the air cleaner and be a low cost solution

BigChris6.9idi

Ford Fan
Reaction score
Oil cap blew off.. gyser of oil shooting out of it. Haven't even checked the block yet.. haven't got .motivation to look. Took a day to clean up. Soon! I promise!

Black dawg

Reaction score
I am not sure how you would get the bearing in your hand with out looking at the block or pan?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
radeon1314

Members online

No members online now.