And so it begins!

Alex S

Jeoff
Reaction score
Hey Alex, figured I'd stop the hijack.LOL

The tach gauge takes 3 wires, 12vdc, a ground and the signal from the sender. The sender has 2 wires, the signal to the tach and a ground. Very simple. I wish I had a before pic of the tach to show what it looks like. Let me know if you need any other info, I had to really look hard to find/figure out the wiring for the whole swap. There isn't much around for the schematics (Chevy or Ford), and what there is only gives you part of what you need. I have 5 or 6 diagrams that I've been refering to, and that still leaves me with questions. Good thing I have a head for puzzles!

Doug

wow no thx thats plenty, thats easer then wireing up a aftermarket tac on a gasser LOL

i'll worry about the details when i get to that point

Alex S

Jeoff
Reaction score
Oh also tho its a bit late GMC did have the fuel gauge in that same spot from factory on some clusters... thought it might help but you look done ;p

You must be registered for see images

LCAM-01XA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That's the so-called "gauges" package, tis a s special option (sorta), and the one you show is from a mid-'70s truck cause of the amp-meter (late-'70s and newer got a voltmeter). My old '79 C10 had that package. Some diesel trucks also have a vacuum gauge in place of the fuel gauge showed in your pic, fuel gauge being relocated to the bottom of the tach.

GenLightening

Yeah, it's a CHEVY!
Reaction score
I was looking at those, very rare and the gauge new is $70. Plus I wanted it to say "Diesel Only", which the small ones don't. Makes it look even more like it came that way.

I was at the wreckers today and they have an '86 cluster with the tach (smaller than the 88 and up), do you already have one?

Alex S

Jeoff
Reaction score
Na sorry man i don't I just remember my uncle had a 79 Silverado that had a factory tac and a SB 400. fun lil truck LOL

Alex S

Jeoff
Reaction score
oh hmmmm well i was going to use the one out of the truck not sure if its bigger or smaller (its a 90) well i'll see and deal with the problem when i get there but thx anyways . I have so much more i should be worried about lol

gsgIDI

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Doug,
Awesome looking truck you did all this with your elbow problems? The engine looks like it came that way in the truck. Keep up the great pictures, you should get better mileage than a gasser. Gina

92F350CC

Ford Man
Reaction score
Wait, that's the ford tach? That's pretty cool how you made it fit the chevy panel.

GenLightening

Yeah, it's a CHEVY!
Reaction score
Doug,
Awesome looking truck you did all this with your elbow problems? The engine looks like it came that way in the truck. Keep up the great pictures, you should get better mileage than a gasser. Gina

Thanks Gina. The elbow has been the least of my problems this year. I started off with 3 months of pnuemonia, then a torn tendon in my hand courtesy of my Husky and then the elbow. It all added about 4+ months to the project. But there is light at the end of the tunnel!:D

GenLightening

Yeah, it's a CHEVY!
Reaction score
Update, it runs!

Got the last of the wiring in the engine bay done and after some cranking it lit off.:thumbsup: Only a bit of a leak from the lower part of fuel filter head, gives me an excuse to get the one piece filter.... It's also leaking from the heater plug too. Any real reason to not JB it?

Now I can back it out of the shop so I can open the doors all the way and finish the dash and trans control wiring. If I hurry, I'll be mostly done before my elbow surgery next week.

GenLightening

Yeah, it's a CHEVY!
Reaction score
It starts pretty easy now and I'll be moving it from my dads shop over to my house to finish the wiring and details. It just soounds so nice, can't wait to take it for a spin! And fuel is almost under $4.00 again!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ntjapkes

Members online