And so it begins!

sootman73

Reaction score
Are you going to do the torque converter lockup mod? If you do you cam just leave the converter locked when decelerating and when going downhill, tis supposed to work real good, so maybe no exhaust brake necessary?

well you would have to do the lockup on it if you got an exhaust brake. it would prefer to unlock completely and freewheel. an exhaust brake would not help you very much then! plus the lockup is better for accelerating while pulling a trailer too! looks good!

Al_E

Full Access Member
Reaction score
:thumbsup: Looking good. With an electric vac pump you would have room for onboard air.Good luck Doug!

GenLightening

Yeah, it's a CHEVY!
Reaction score
:thumbsup: Looking good. With an electric vac pump you would have room for onboard air.Good luck Doug!

I don't have any needs for the onboard air, not that it's any reason not to have it! I was looking at the electric vacs, too pricey so far. It can wait. I'll be finishing up the motor mounts today and maybe get started on moving the firewall around. Mine won't be quite as nice as yours, but I'm trying to make it look like it came with it.

GenLightening

Yeah, it's a CHEVY!
Reaction score
I took a few more pics, still making progress, although not a quick as I want. The engine is back out and I'm cleaning up the initial cutout for the downpipe, it's hard to do with the engine in the way! Motor mounts are done, just need a coat of paint. Next is putting the engine back in for the last time. Ok, it's only the second time, I ended up getting things right the first time. I'm really glad I held off on installing the new carpet! And I've got a nice piece of sheetmetal to fill in the hole in the floor.

Attachments

• 003.JPG
    003.JPG
    308.2 KB · Views: 144
  • 004.JPG
    004.JPG
    339.3 KB · Views: 143
  • Truck 010.JPG
    Truck 010.JPG
    431.5 KB · Views: 136
  • Truck 011.JPG
    Truck 011.JPG
    402.2 KB · Views: 157
Last edited:

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I keep hearing the exhaust brake is a killer on these engines as well. Towcat had some reasons for that...don't rightly recall at this point, but as you said it has to do with the valve train.

FordGuy100

Reaction score
I keep hearing the exhaust brake is a killer on these engines as well. Towcat had some reasons for that...don't rightly recall at this point, but as you said it has to do with the valve train.

It had something to do with it being like a hydrolic style came and roller tapits. Something about the increased load on them would do something bad eventually. Or at least thats what I remember.

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Looks great! I had no idea you'd have to cut the floor out though.

GenLightening

Yeah, it's a CHEVY!
Reaction score
Looks great! I had no idea you'd have to cut the floor out though.

There was only 3/4" clearance between the up pipe and the firewall, which was more than I expected. So I had to make room for the 3" downpipe. And I needed an extra foot warmer for my wife. Hope it works good!LOL

What are your thoughts on the US Gear exhaust brake that came with my donor truck? Should I off it now or give it a try? With the Baumann controller I'll be able to set the lockup and the brake would help, but I don't want to grenade anything.

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Our motors have 100lb valve springs. with the exhaust brake, It won't take much effort to open the valves from the backpressure. There is brakes out there that have a overpressure valve that minimizes that from happening, but the risk is still there.

GenLightening

Yeah, it's a CHEVY!
Reaction score
A quick update with photos to follow. Engine and trans (with a new triple disk TC) are bolted in. Driveshaft has been shortened, Ford yoke installed and everything is hooked up. Shifter linkage has been modified and works fine. Got my Carrier fuel pump and need to install it. Waiting for my custom speedo cable to arrive. Need to start the wiring, fuel lines and hook up the radiator and electric fans. It looks so nice!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ntjapkes

Members online