Ambulance 7.3

johnnyb1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just bought a complete 7.3 with 21,000 miles [???] It came from a '92 ambulance. Doesn't look to be many issues to putting it in my '87 truck/C6. Would this engine have different specs than any other 7.3 ? No issues putting the Banks on it ?

FarmerFrank

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The oil cooler, fuel filter head, and BOTH and I mean BOTH motor mounts that bolt to the engine are different. The passenger side looks like it'll work, but it is 1" forward.

Other than that the pump *might* be de-tuned a little bit but you can adjust that.

Did I mention both motor mounts are different??

chris142

Full Access Member
Reaction score
if it has an altetnator on it the alt should be a high output

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If it has two Alternators TAKE pictures please lots and lots of pictures....how it's mounted and wired and so forth and if you are not using that setup, selll it to me please.... dibs...dibs...dibs so long as it's a serpentine setup I'd buy!

If it has a SAGINAW power steering pump and serpentine belt take LOTS Of pictures and if you are NOT going to use the saginaw pump setup...sell it to me complete please...:dunno dibs dibs dibs :backoff

Seriously other than the motor mounts the fuel filter head and IIRC 1 exhaust manifold and oil cooler, it s simple bolt in.

I doubt pump was detuned but I could be wrong.

Sounds like a hell of a buy 21K for miles...Nice!!!!!

junk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If the ambulance was a van front then the typical van stuff applies like mentioned earlier. If it was a pickup front should be closer. Now if you got the front accessory drives does it have a 2nd alternator? Or a bigger main alternator? That could be some good stuff right there.

The basic engine should work just fine and I would have no issues putting the turbo on it.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
The drivers side exhaust manifold is different on the vans. They will not fit the truck application.

FarmerFrank

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The drivers side exhaust manifold is different on the vans. They will not fit the truck application.

Oh ya and that too.
Dip stick is 5 miles long, could be used but the truck one is nicer.

My ambulance had the huge alternator on it, one day ill put it in something

johnnyb1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It is an "E" series {van}, I only saw one MONSTER alternator. Luckily I still have the 6.9 so I should have all mounts,brackets,etc. The idle hours did concern me but it looks clean as a pin. And I'm keeping my new long block 7.3 until I make sure this is a good one. It's a '92 so it had a E4OD behind it. Couple things are in different locations but it looks like the same animal.

johnnyb1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think it was a serpentine belt set up. I'll probably stay with my OEM stuff if I can so I'll let you know what I can part with. I'll probably go up one flat on the pump. That with the Banks should be all I need. Didn't know if it had a little bigger cam or anything like that. Can I use that oil cooler or use my old one?

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
You must change the oil cooler from a van to a truck if the van engine is going in a truck. Same happens going the other way.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cv axle

Members online