Alrighty boys - can't shift into gear

warhog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You think epoxy will keep the stud secure? Which kind? I"m down to try anything, worst scenario i end up needing to buy a new one anyways.

lilredtdi

Reaction score
Anything strong that says it is for metal and resists petroleum. Before you apply it, thread it all of the way in and mark it. Remove it mix up the epoxy and only apply to the threads that will not be seen. Thread it back in til it bottoms out and wipe any excess. OR use the highest strength thread locker you can find and let it set up. Either should work fine.

Remember: If you ever do this on a blind stud, use the strongest thread locker on the part you cannot see and on the nut use a lower grade thread lock. This prevents you removing the stud if you have to remove the nut as one is stronger than the other. My VW TDI has a tensioner and the stud going through it had to be done this way and it worked.

warhog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
thanks for the tips. I just got in, gonna take a break on it. It's too cold out there to be out long...unfortunetly seeing as the bolt spins in place, not only can i not tighten it, i can't loosen it. Haven't decided what i'm going to have to do just yet. I may have to take everything apart again and just break the MC. Any better ideas? There is a very little bit of the bolt i may be able to get vice grips on but i don't think i have a small enough wrench to get there.

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
Maybe take the vise grips and squeeze down on the plastic around the bolt.
Loosen the other one first, then get something wedged in there and twist the stud to see if it will come loose from the master.

warhog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That stud aint coming out and unfortunately neither is the MC from the plate. If this truck was trying to convince me again to set it on fire, it did it. I'm going to have to strip everything back off inside and grind the nut off.

warhog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't think so. It's the top bolt on the MC. It would have to be a socket style tool if anything. I barely got room to turn a wrench. I'm not even sure how i'll get the grinder in there tomorrow but we'll see.

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well if yer into the unit having to destroy the stud,

Why not completely remove the lower studs NUT, then disconnect the pushrod, then get help someone to LIFT up the master cyl hard...maybe binding the stud into place, then with you on the inside try and remove the NUT thats stuck....

Hope I'm making sense....Or jam something between the MC and firewall on engine side and pry outwards and have someone unde the nut inside...

Anyway you slice it it seems to me you gotta get help...and have you an impact?

JM2CW

Al

warhog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i am a lone soldier on the project. Been doing alright considering. heck, if you know how the plate mounts with the different bolts, i think it's semi impressive i got them all threaded in without someone holding the brackets lol. I tried the prying method, last thing I want to do is bend the new plate.

lilredtdi

Reaction score
Hey warhog.....i feel your pain. I too never have help and am a backyard mechanic who does not do this stuff every day therefor i struggle. Al has good advice.

If i understand correctly the MC has two mounting studs that go through fire wall and attach under dash with nuts???

If so, try wood shim in engine compartment. Place it behind MC and tap it in firmly with hammer then remove nut from inside cab. Is the nut one with a nylon lock or something?

warhog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
spent a bit out there now, the grinder i got wont fit up there, I tried vice grips, shimming it, hammering it, bending it, you name it, not gonna happen. At this point i'm really out of ideas. There isn't enough space to grab anything from the engine bay side, and heaven knows theres no room to work from under the dash either. Might have to throw the towel in on this one as dumb as it sounds. I just can't think of anything else that would work. Hell i even broke a screw driver trying to break the MC by prying against the firewall.

warhog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
beats me. On the MC you can only see one side of it. The other is "built into" the MC. I've tried pulling spinning and prying and it's not coming out of there. Only thing coming to mind now is buy a saw zall and cut the new plate in half. really, i don't know what else i could do at this point.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RangerDanger

Members online